Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
broken PING))) or just using it improperly? — Parallax Forums

broken PING))) or just using it improperly?

jefrojefro Posts: 4
edited 2013-07-12 10:54 in Accessories
Please keep in mind that my son and I are relative n00bs with these sensors.

We purchased a 3-pin PING))) for use with an Arduino Uno. When we took it out of the package it seemed to work as advertised with the default code in the main Arduino library. Now, however, when turned on there is either no activity, or a burst of blinks for up to 1-2 seconds, reporting data, and then no activity. After that, it blinks & reports intermittently (a few times per minute), but reports zeros the rest of the time. This is the pattern of activity with either the default code of the NewPing library.

It sounds like we have done something disastrous to the unit and should just buy a replacement, but I wanted to check here in case that was a known issue that could be fixed.

thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-07-10 17:39
    This is not normal behavior. It sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. How do you have it connected?
  • jefrojefro Posts: 4
    edited 2013-07-10 17:42
    Thanks for the reply. Connected through a breadboard, + to positive rail, - to negative rail, SIG to pin 7 on the Arduino. The rails are driven by 5V regulated power from the Arduino, which itself is driven either by a 9V battery or from USB. Behavior is the same no matter what.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-07-10 18:28
    Sometimes breadboards can go bad. Try a different location on the breadboard and different jumpers from the breadboard to the Arduino and power rails.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-07-11 11:22
    If it was accidentally connected to the VIN (9V) instead of 5V that could damage it as well. I know some boards have these close to each other.
    edited 2013-07-11 12:40
    Thanks - that may have been a possibility. Also may have connected 5V+ to the SIG pin. Mike - we tried two different breadboards and also connected directly to the Arduino, all with identical results. At least we're learning about characterizing problems!
    edited 2013-07-12 10:08
    If you're unable to get it working again you can send it in to Parallax Tech Support and we can test it and verify the status. We can then offer you options based on what we find.
    edited 2013-07-12 10:40
    Ah, good idea, thanks - I'd be glad to do that. Is there a form?
    edited 2013-07-12 10:54
    I will send you a PM with the details.