Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Comparing Different GPS Sensors — Parallax Forums

Comparing Different GPS Sensors

Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
edited 2013-07-13 12:03 in Accessories
Has anyone done a comparison of the Parallax GPS sensors (features, performance) to other manufacturers offerings and published the results?

If so, I would be interested in a link to it.

Thanks

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-09 23:37
    I'm not away of any such comparison. It would be nice it there were one.

The only GPS I've purchased from Parallax was purchased about five years ago. I had also purchased one from Sparkfun about the same time. The one from Parallax took a long time to get a satellite lock (around 15 minutes) and had to have a clear view of the sky to obtain the lock. The one from SparkFun would lock almost instantly and I could turn it on inside my house and still get a lock very quickly.

Parallax no longer sells the unit that took so long to lock, but this experience let me know there can be big differences between the various GPS units. SparkFun no longer sells the unit I purchased there either.

Have you seen SparkFun's GPS buying guide? It has a lot of good information and I thought if accurately described the unit I had purchased from them. It would be nice if Parallax made similar comparisons with there GPS units.
  • Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
    edited 2013-07-12 09:48
    Thanks for the lead...I will follow up on it.

Does Parallax monitor the sensor discussions...I would like to hear from them since it would be logical that they have done comparisons.

Duane Degn wrote: »
    I'm not away of any such comparison. It would be nice it there were one.

The only GPS I've purchased from Parallax was purchased about five years ago. I had also purchased one from Sparkfun about the same time. The one from Parallax took a long time to get a satellite lock (around 15 minutes) and had to have a clear view of the sky to obtain the lock. The one from SparkFun would lock almost instantly and I could turn it on inside my house and still get a lock very quickly.

Parallax no longer sells the unit that took so long to lock, but this experience let me know there can be big differences between the various GPS units. SparkFun no longer sells the unit I purchased there either.

Have you seen SparkFun's GPS buying guide? It has a lot of good information and I thought if accurately described the unit I had purchased from them. It would be nice if Parallax made similar comparisons with there GPS units.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-07-12 10:26
    Our GPS Product Comparison page can be found here: http://www.parallax.com/go/gps

I hope this helps.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-12 10:36
    Our GPS Product Comparison page can be found here: http://www.parallax.com/go/gps

I hope this helps.

Now that I see the GPS Comparison page, it looks familiar. Sorry Too_Many_Tools for not remembering Parallax had this.

Thanks for the link Chis.

It's nice to see the acquisition times listed. All the GPS units Parallax sells look like the work well.
  • Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
    edited 2013-07-13 12:03
    Thanks for supplying the info Chris.

I hope this helps.