Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-bot Arduino manual for download? — Parallax Forums

Boe-bot Arduino manual for download?

tcbetkatcbetka Posts: 5
edited 2013-07-11 18:35 in Robotics
Hello all...

I recently picked up a Boe-bot kit for Arduino, but I've been having trouble accessing the http://www.learn.parallax.com/ site in order to work on the tutorials. It worked last week, but I can't really get it to work much at all today. They might be having problems with the website, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a download of the .html files (or a PDF manual) for the set of tutorials? Sometimes I do travel and do not have good Internet access, so it would be nice to be able to work on the project offline. I found the large book online for the Boe-bot with the BASIC language, but not one for C using Arduino.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

TB

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I searched a bit here in the forum archives, but didn't really come up with anything--although I might not be using the right search string. I'll keep looking here though.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-07-10 08:42
    Yes, learn.parallax.com is loading very slowly or not at all. Didja get the BoE Shield pdf, anyway? That's still fast. Bottom of the page at http://www.parallax.com/BOEShield
  • tcbetkatcbetka Posts: 5
    edited 2013-07-10 09:23
    Yes I did actually. And I also found some powerpoint lectures posted online from an Intro to Engineering course at Tidewater Community College (in Norfolk Virgina). According to the lecture notes the material therein was largely derived from the learn.parallax material so it's actually quite helpful. I'll post the link here so that others might benefit.

Thanks for the reply.

TB

EDIT: Look down towards the bottom of that page, in the "Lecture Notes (PowerPoint Presentations)" section, to find the five Arduino-BOT lectures. There are also some nice demo videos there to illustrate the concepts.
    edited 2013-07-10 09:43
    I called Parallax and advised them of the problem. While I was on the phone, they apparently rebooted their server and it started working for me. Their tech support fellow also confirmed that it was working on his end as well.

This is awesome stuff, and I am working my way towards integrating remote control of the Boe-Bot using directional input via serial XBee communication.

TB
    edited 2013-07-10 17:56
    Well, now it seems to be broken again...lol.

<sigh>

TB
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2013-07-11 08:16
    Hi tcbetka,

Thanks for giving us that call, tcbetka. We had a genuine and profound server disk system failure, and our IT gurus worked late to migrate the Learn site (and our Propeller Object Exchange site) to new equipment. We apologize for the temporary loss of access!

For future reference, you can make a single-file archive of any multi-page tutorial on the Learn site by clicking the "Printer-friendly version" link on the bottom-right of the first page. This will draw all of the content beneath that page in the tutorial's hierarchy into a single HTML file. From there you can save it to your machine, send it to any printer, etc. Of course, the example code files would need to be downloaded separately.
    edited 2013-07-11 18:35
    Yes, I figured it was something like that. I was back up again this morning when I tried it--and it's been working well ever since. So thanks for fixing it!

Good tip on how to copy the stuff to a local hard drive. I'll give it a try, to keep the stuff in the later chapters for future reference. The earlier stuff is pretty straightforward.

Thanks again.

TB