Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How does EEPROM work — Parallax Forums

How does EEPROM work

ComputeruserComputeruser Posts: 16
edited 2013-09-01 06:07 in BASIC Stamp
I have been working through the online documentation here as well as my book "Robotics with the Boe-Bot V3.

I have the Basic Stamp Robot running and it will do straight lines forward and back. I am going to work on some turns next.

But I look ahead and see the topic "Building Complex Maneuvers in EEPROM". I reviewed this topic and I have a couple of questions:

1. On the module, there appears to be a microcomputer and 2 EEPROM chips, each holding 1Kb of memory (2048 bytes total). Is this correct?

2. Is there any other memory (other than the 32 working bytes in the microcomputer)? I think not, but I am not sure.

3. When I run any program (even the first ones) do they all just go into EEPROM? I think they must.

4. Does each and every program go to the beginning of EEPROM and overwrite the previous program?

I want to try EEPROM Navigation and also try Avoiding a Table edge.

I have the examples in the book and can key them into the software on my computer. Can the programs be downloaded from your site? It would save time keying in programs.

Thanks, .... C

Comments

• ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,646
    edited 2013-07-09 16:01
    1. There is only 1 2k eeprom chip. I think the other 8 pin chip next to the eeprom is a brownout detector or voltage regulator or something like that.

2. Nope. Use a Propeller (32k ram) or a fancy BS2 module (e.g. BS2e or BS2px) (64 or 128 bytes scratch-pad ram + 32 bytes normal ram) if you need more memory.

3. Yes, there's no where else they could possibly fit.

4. Program memory starts at the end and fills towards the bottom. Push Ctl+M for the memory window. The blue stuff at the bottom is your program, and a 16 byte line will only get overwritten if there's blue in it.

Do this if you're afraid your program will get too big and overwrite your data:
    label   DATA   @ptr, (count)

Replace "ptr" with where you want to put your data. Leave out the "@ptr," if you just want to put the data at the beginning (I think). "Count" represents how many bytes you want not to be overwritten.
  • ComputeruserComputeruser Posts: 16
    edited 2013-07-09 16:19
    Thank you. That pretty much confirms my thinking except the first question about the number of EEPROM chips. I appreciate the help.

.... C
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-07-09 16:45
    Thank you. That pretty much confirms my thinking except the first question about the number of EEPROM chips. I appreciate the help.

.... C

There is one EEPROM on the Basic Stamp. Th schematic is here:

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/schem/BS2-IC-Schematic-Rev-J.pdf

A
    ll the information is available on the lower right hand side of the product page:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/ProductID/1/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost,ProductName
    edited 2013-07-09 18:22
    I did not word my response to Electrodude very well. I originally thought there was 2 and Electrodude said 1. I understood that but did not express myself well.

So between the first post and now, I entered the EEPROM Navigation Program and tested it. It works, but as the manual notes, I need to make it a square.

Now all this is in my basement workshop with an old XP machine to do the programming. I stand in the workshop, and it is not comfortable to enter long programs. So I move the computer to my home office, entered the program, took it back to the shop, and tested everything.

Also entering programs (I do save them) is not entertaining work.

Is there a source of BASIC source code text on this site where I can download programs?

Thanks, .... C
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-07-09 18:36
    There's no general location for sample or example Stamp programs. For many of the tutorials or manuals, you can cut and paste the code from the PDF file. For some products, sample code is available (as .zip files) via links on the webstore product page for the product, usually on the right side of the page about 1/2 way down.
    edited 2013-07-09 19:02
    Thank you, Mike - As I thought.

My production machine for client work is a new(ish) Windows 8 Pro 64-bit machine. I don't know if the Basic Program will run on this machine, and anyway, I cannot confine it to my workshop.

I can make a folder on this machine to download some PDF's with sample code, extract the code, and then network this to the XP machine and move the code to it. It sounds longer than it actually is, so I will do it that way.

Thanks again, .... C
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,749
    edited 2013-07-09 19:29
    You can find the source code for the older version by doing an internet search. Most of the code is the same as your version except for Chapter 6 which uses a new light sensor.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-07-09 20:35
    I've been able to run the Stamp Editor under Windows 8 32-bit. I haven't tried it under the 64-bit version.
    edited 2013-09-01 06:07
    I know this is an old post, but I changed my XP programming machine for my retired Windows 7 Pro 64-bit programming machine. Both the Basic Stamp software and the Arduino Uno software work properly and well in a 64-bit operating system. .... C