Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DIN Rail Mounted or Open Frame Power Supply for the Basic stamp 2 — Parallax Forums

DIN Rail Mounted or Open Frame Power Supply for the Basic stamp 2

MarkDeSouzaMarkDeSouza Posts: 17
edited 2013-07-05 08:34 in BASIC Stamp
Has anyone used a DIN rail mounted of an Open Frame Power supply to power up thier Basic Stamp Board of Education Board? If so does anyone have any recomendations for the same? I plan to use the Parallax BOE on an oscillating carriage and the use of a Power adapter (like a mobile charger) is not an option.

Again would a high amperage affect the electronics of the basic Stamp 2. Forgive me guys as I am not an electrical or electronic engineer.

This is the Open frame that I was considering.

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/ps-25-7.5.shtml

Output Specifications:

Output Voltage:
7.5 Volts DC

Min Current:
0 Amps

Max Current:
3.3 Amps

Power:
24.8 Watts

Input Specifications:

Input Voltage:
85~264VAC
Universal Input

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-07-03 08:13
    The maximum current rating is a capability. You don't have to use that amount of current. The only thing I'd do with a relatively high output current power supply is to put a fuse in the output (+) lead in case you accidentally short circuit the output.

The important rating is the minimum current. The Stamp can operate at very low currents (milliAmps) and, if the supply is not designed for that, it may lose regulation at that low current. The one you chose appears to be designed for no load use where the supply will maintain regulation down to zero current output.
  • MarkDeSouzaMarkDeSouza Posts: 17
    edited 2013-07-05 08:34
    Thanks Mike. I was worried that I would be frying the board.