Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
datalogger won't sync — Parallax Forums

datalogger won't sync

pblountpblount Posts: 10
edited 2014-02-07 02:39 in BASIC Stamp
I'm trying to build a data logger using the memory stick data logger 27937.
This is the first time I've tried to use the memory stick data logger.
I've tried the test code provided by Parallax and it hung up on the sync step.
The program would send the the echo command but the CR would not be sent back.
I tried a different thumb drive but still no luck. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-07-01 10:33
    Which BASIC Stamp Module are you using? Is the Thumb Drive you're using a "secure" drive? Also is it formatted to FAT32 with 512 bytes/sector?
  • pblountpblount Posts: 10
    edited 2013-07-12 17:07
    I'm using the BS2. I'm not sure if the thumb drive is "secure" or not. How would I tell? As for FAT32 with 512 sectors it is FAT32 but I'm not sure about 512 sectors.
    thanks for any help you can give me.:smile:
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2013-07-15 09:01
    The memory stick logger requires a rock solid power supply. Check that, and also put a good capacitor across the leads where it is attached to your board.

The chance that you have anything other than FAT32 with 512byte sectors is slim. You are right though to try it with a second or third thumb drive.

If the datalogger is an older model, it is a good idea to upgrade it to the latest VDAP firmware, which you can download from the FTDI web site.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-15 09:04
    If the datalogger is an older model, it is a good idea to upgrade it to the latest VDAP firmware, which you can download from the FTDI web site.

Agreed. I have an older datalogger and it will only work with a very limited number of my thumb drives (all of which are old as well).
    edited 2013-07-17 11:20
    Ok, so the power supply is from a 9V transformer plugged into the wall. Should be solid. I put in the cap, I'm assuming size doesn't matter too much because it's just for smoothing things out. These did not help. Still can't get past the sync step in the test code.

I've got two dataloggers, one that was just ordered so I assume that the firmware is up to date on at least one. I've switched them in and out but still no luck.

Any more suggestions?

I've gone to FTDI and found the firmware update. My next question is how do I get it loaded on the datalogger?

I'm moving from beginner to intermediate with my programming and this is part of the next step. So speak slowly to me. :lol:

thanks for any help.
    edited 2013-07-17 12:10
    pblount wrote: »
    Ok, so the power supply is from a 9V transformer plugged into the wall. Should be solid. I put in the cap, I'm assuming size doesn't matter too much because it's just for smoothing things out.

So just to confirm...are you supplying the 9V directly to the Datalogger?
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2013-07-17 12:46
    Just going to toss this in here... I remember I had a similar issue back when I was first trying to use the data logger, here's a link to the threads that solved my issues, just in case there's any tidbits of value in here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/114218-Datalogger-writing-requirement-question?highlight=USB+logger

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/135280-USB-Mem-stick-datalogger-w-BS2-upgraded-firmware-initialization-question?p=1045957#post1045957

I'll keep poking around in case I find anything else useful.

Dave
    edited 2013-07-17 21:58
    Be sure you have the firmware that can be auto-loaded from the flash drive.

---- http://www.ftdichip.com/Firmware/Precompiled.htm
    go way down the page to
    ---- Latest Vinculum (VNC1L) Firmware Releases
    ---- VDAP Disk And Peripheral Firmware V3.69
    and be sure to choose the version called "Reflash (FTD)"

Once downloaded, you will have a file named, "VDAPFUL-V3.69.ftd". Move it to the root directory of your flash drive and rename it, "FTRFB.FTD". When that is detected by the datalogger, it will replace the installed firmware with the version on the flash drive. The light on the datalogger will flash while that is going on, and it does take a while. Oh, that will only happen if the thumb version is different from the installed firmware, and it is possible to do both upgrades and retrogrades that way.

While on the FTDI web site, also download the Vinculum Firmware User Manual. Link right above the firmware itself. It is thick, but may be useful as you get into this more.

To reiterate Chris' question, what stamp module or board are you using to connect to the datalogger? Always check and recheck the wiring against the instructions. What are the red and green status leds on the datalogger doing?
    edited 2013-07-18 14:19
    So just to confirm...are you supplying the 9V directly to the Datalogger?

No. The 9V is to the development board. I just wanted to indicate that my power supply should be solid.
    edited 2013-07-18 14:30
    Thanks Dave. These links provided a lot to explore that's dead on topic.
    edited 2013-07-18 14:34
    Perfect. Thanks Tracy. I downloaded the bootloader version the other day.
    I've now got the Reflash version and will do that update today.

I'm using a BS2 and have rechecked the wiring several times including unplugging it all and redoing it again.

The status lights oscillate back and forth between red and green.
    edited 2013-07-18 17:11
    OK, I just tried updating firmware. I'm not sure if it was a success or not.
    There seems to be no change in the status. LED's blink G,R,G,R,G,R, pause and repeat.
    It's done that the whole time w/ or w/out a drive in place. W/ or w/out a program sent to it.
    Pretty much it's been a fancy LED blinker. Doubled checked the wiring, again. All is good there.
    Just switched out the data logger for different one and get the same thing.
    edited 2013-07-19 10:19
    Are you using dataLoggerTestCode1.1 from the 27937 product page, and a Parallax development board?
    edited 2013-07-19 12:07
    What's confusing me is that you keep mentioning sending a program to it and that you still haven't answered my question about how you're supplying power, your connections or even which microcontroller you're using. Please try to be clear on the details if we're to help you. This means providing the information requested in order to help you.
    edited 2013-07-19 12:55
    Sorry for any confusion.
    I'm using a BS2 on a Board of Education Development Board.
    The board is plugged into the wall through a 9V transformer and the datalogger is hooked to Vdd as per the instructions from the product page.
    All the wiring is correct according to the product info from Memoeystickdatalogger 1.0.
    I am using the test code on the product page, Datalogger test code 1.1 .
  • banjobanjo Posts: 443
    edited 2013-07-19 13:40
    A quick comment that might or might not be of value:
    I've had similar issues that are mostly resolved now. Not all USB-sticks have been working so I've had to try a few different. Also prolonged the delay in the loop waiting for CR.
    I have not dared to update the firmware so I have whatever version was shipped around 2008.
    edited 2013-07-19 15:02
    banjo wrote: »
    A quick comment that might or might not be of value:
    I've had similar issues that are mostly resolved now. Not all USB-sticks have been working so I've had to try a few different. Also prolonged the delay in the loop waiting for CR.
    I have not dared to update the firmware so I have whatever version was shipped around 2008.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
  • noelkhannoelkhan Posts: 4
    edited 2013-07-21 18:25
    pblount,

Are you powering the logger through one of the pins on the BS2? If so, no good.

I had a similar problem with the data logger (LEDS oscillating) and resolved by supplying dedicated / separate power to the uC and the logger.

Regards,
    Noel
    edited 2013-07-22 22:23
    I'll try powering it with it's own source. I'm out of of town right now so it'll be a few days.

Thanks.
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2013-07-23 16:27
    pblount, the Datalogger has been notoriously difficult to get started with for many people, check this thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/112872-Datalogger-BS2-or-SX-(-115200-)

I'm not advocating that this be the final route you take but the link may provide some valuable information and actually provide some positive results.

Jeff T.
  • alloydogalloydog Posts: 4
    edited 2014-01-16 03:29
    I'll add to this thread as I have what appears to be a similar problem. I have started reading through the links given in previous answers so I might fix it yet... But I have one question:
    I was commented early on that the power supply for the USB stick has to be very stable and /not/ to use the supply from the BASIC Stamp board: Why is this? In the data sheet for the Memory Stick Datalogger (v1.1) it seems to show the USB adapter connector to the BASIC Stamp development/breakout board.

From this, it says:
    [FONT=Tahoma, serif]1 Vss Connects to System Ground[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, serif]and[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, serif]3 Vdd Connects to +5V (Regulated)

It gives the impression that the +5v from the BASIC Stamp board is OK to use. Why is it not?

I am using, specifically, the OWL2pe environmental data logger (from http://www.emesystems.com). I have hooked up PIN 3 of the Memory Stick Datalogger to pin 39 of the OWL2pe board which is a direct connection to the Vdd pin of o fthe BASIC Stamp 2pe processor and PIN 1 to pin 38 (Vss).

Running the script 27937-Datalogger-Test-v1.1.bs2 downloaded today (16.01.2014).

It too get stuck at:

Memory Stick Datalogger Test V1.1

Synchronizing...

The Memory stick datalogger was bought about 6 months ago, so I guess any formware and what-not is up to date.
    The USB stick is 8 GB - is this too big? It is formatted to FAT32 and I use it for just about everything - I bounce stuck between Linux & Windoes PC and a digibox and never had a problem.I am using the BASIC Stamp Editor v2.4.2 from Parallax.

Rob
    [/FONT]
    edited 2014-01-16 09:01
    There's no reason not to use the power supply from a BASIC Stamp board. Is that listed somewhere? Pulling 5V from the BASIC Stamp module's on-board regulator now, that would be bad. But if the board has an on-board regulator such as the Board of Education and/or the Super Carrier Board then by all means, use that 5V to power the Datalogger.
    edited 2014-01-16 17:04
    The datalogger needs about 50 mA to 70 mA, so the voltage regulator on the original BS2 does not have enough extra current available. However, most of the Parallax development/breakout boards include an additional much more capable regulator, about 1A of capacity, plenty for the datalogger and more.

The regulator on the OWL2pe is not quite that beefy, but it too is capable of delivering enough power for the datalogger.

Where do you have the other datalogger pins hooked up?

For environmental data logging, running on solar or batteries, I have the thumb drive interface powered from a switched 5V supply, under Stamp control. That has two advantages, one, it reduces the power supply drain to microamps in between sample times (minutes or 10s of minutes), and two, when the interface turns on from a clean supply, it comes up in a known state, and the firmware does not have to mess around with all that frustrating synchronization nonsense.

By the way, alloydog, welcome to the forums!
    edited 2014-01-16 23:02
    Thanks for the replies.
    Chris - I was hoping the OWL2 board I am using was capable of supplying the USB stick adapter, and from Tracy's reply, it seems it should be enough.

But I will try it by supplying the USB stick board from the 12 V supply with a 5 V regulator in between.

Tracy - I don't have anything else connected to the OWL, other than the serial cable to the PC on com, atn, Sin and Sout.

On our mainboard, we have a couple of relays for switch external devices on and off, so having the supply controlled by the BASIC Stamp is not a problem.

I will give the external supply method a bash and post back when it's done.

cheers!

rob

**UPDATE**
    I hooked up a 7805 between the 12 V supply and the USB Stick adapter, but the result is the same.

Is there anyway I can if there are messages or other information other than the Debug terminal window of the BASIC Stampo editor?

thanks,

Rob
    edited 2014-01-17 16:04
    What pins on the OWL2pe are connected to the memory stick datalogger? It is all too easy to get the sense of rx and tx pins mixed up. I'm asking so I can try to duplicate your setup here.

I use the vDrive from FTDI, which is functionally the same, just different packaging.

As mentioned above, my setup delivers 5V power to the device via 5V regulator that has a shutdown pin, so that the OWL2pe can turn it on and off. That is both for power savings and for reliability and error recovery. Do you have the switched power pin available from the OWL2pe, and set to 5V with the potentiometer on the bottom of the board? If that is available, it can be used for the memory stick. If not, we can work something out. I think from what you have told me that you do want to minimize power drain overall.
    edited 2014-01-20 01:56
    Here is the connection I am using:

OWL2 --- USB Board
    P8
    PIN 4
    P9
    PIN 6
    P10
    PIN 5
    P11
    PIN 2

That USB stick adapter you have linked to looks good, I'll check it our further.

thanks
    edited 2014-01-26 14:54
    If you power up the datalogger (or vDrive) when it is already hooked up to a terminal program, then you will see that it puts out its firmware version and maybe other information and ends with its ">" prompt. At that point you can enter commands, such as DIR to get the disk directory.

The attached program is BS2pe program allows you to do that. Pin p15 controls 5V power to the datalogger. The program initializes, turns on the 5V datalogger power, prints out the initial datalogger preamble, and then the responses of the datalogger to a series of informational commands. It ends up at a prompt where you can type in further commands and look at the responses.

You can also turn on the datalogger power manually once the Stamp program has started. There are timeouts though, if the expected response does not happen within a certain period. The program has entry points for a long wait or a short wait. Most commands use the short timeout, but the initial response can take a long time, especially if there is a firmware upgrade present on the flash drive. Another command that takes a long time is FSE, the free space command, but only the first time it is run after power-up.

The OWL2pe has switched power attached to pin X12, and that can be set to 5V and used for the datalogger. I usually use that for sensors though, in environmental monitoring, so I have a separate 5V regulator that I switch on and off from pin p15.
    edited 2014-02-07 02:39
    Thanks for the extra info. I will post an update when I get time to look at this again.