Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Just Getting Started — Parallax Forums

Just Getting Started

w4opw4op Posts: 2
edited 2013-06-29 08:18 in BASIC Stamp
I just downloaded the Basic Stamp software. In setting it up, one page asks me to ID the Stamp board I have. Mine is not listed- it is the 2712 Serial board.
Is one of the two serial boards listed equivalent?
Thanks,

Dale

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-06-28 15:48
    It would help to provide a bit more information about the board you're using.

The Stamp Editor tries each of the serial ports available under Windows to see if it responds like a Basic Stamp with the model and firmware version which the Editor displays. That's what's meant by ID. What Stamp board are you using? What Stamp model is installed on it? (BS2, BS2sx, BS2p, BS2pe, BS2px? other?)
  • w4opw4op Posts: 2
    edited 2013-06-28 16:54
    I left a zero off the board number. It is a Parallax 27120. This is it:
    https://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampDevelopmentBoards/tabid/137/CategoryID/12/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/121/Default.aspx

T
    he Basic Stamp I have is the BS-2. I have the program file and just want to load it into the Stamp.

Thanks,

Dale
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-06-28 20:34
    You'll need some kind of serial port on your PC and a serial cable to connect the two. If your PC only has USB, you'll need a USB to serial adapter. I'd suggest the one that Parallax sells, but some others work for programming Stamps and Propellers, etc. If you have one already, try it, but the Parallax one (or others from FTDI) just works once you install the proper USB driver (comes with the Stamp Editor).

The SuperCarrier Board does need power for programming and a 9V battery will work for that, but for other uses, you really need an AC-powered supply. It doesn't have to be 9V. Anything above about 6V will do. Remember that the Stamp's built-in regulator can't really supply much to run other stuff. There's a total of 50mA available, less if you use a supply voltage much above 6V (because of the heat dissipation needed).
  • 72sonett72sonett Posts: 82
    edited 2013-06-29 08:18
    w4op wrote: »
    ... one page asks me to ID the Stamp board...
    During installation no carrier board or BS needs to be attached to your computer, but once the IDE is installed hit F6 (Identify), with a carrier board and BS attached, and it will give you what BS is present.