Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RN-42 Bluetooth Module audio streamer — Parallax Forums

RN-42 Bluetooth Module audio streamer

live4321live4321 Posts: 3
edited 2013-06-28 08:41 in Accessories
Hello,
I am currently working on a project with the Propeller Board of Education and the RN-42 bluetooth module. This is my first time working on a propeller board and quite frankly, I have very little experience with programming anything like this. I am trying to hook a seperate microphone to the board and have the board transmit what the microphone picks up. Sort of like how a phone can play music over bluetooth. Any advice or help on this would be greatly apreciated.

William Blake Sheffield

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-06-27 20:33
    There are two programs in the Object Exchange that deal with microphones. One displays the waveform of the sound and the other copies the sound to the earphone output. Effectively, either program can be used to take audio from a microphone, digitize it, and store it in a buffer. You will need to adjust the digitization rate to produce an audio stream that is suitable for a Bluetooth serial port. You'll need the buffer because Bluetooth is a packetized transport medium ... it internally buffers data until a full packet is gathered, then transmits the packet rapidly, waits for error checking, may have to retransmit the packet, and eventually goes back to filling the buffer again. You need a buffer in the Propeller to allow for this stop and go transmission process.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-06-28 08:41
    Welcome to the forums. While the RN-42 device can be programmed to support audio streaming via firmware, the version we have on our Bluetooth Module does not support audio streaming, which is why we did not bring those pins out on the module. You would have to do it the way Mike described.