Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS Datalogger — Parallax Forums

GPS Datalogger

CwebberCwebber Posts: 8
edited 2013-06-27 09:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

I am trying to follow the project here: http://www.parallax.com/tabid/807/default.aspx.
Although it says the source code, schematic, and KML file are at the bottom, they are not there. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get the files referenced in that project.

Thanks.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-06-20 13:50
    Cwebber wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am trying to follow the project here: http://www.parallax.com/tabid/807/default.aspx.
    Although it says the source code, schematic, and KML file are at the bottom, they are not there. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get the files referenced in that project.

Thanks.

I think this thread contains the information that you need. If not, just shout back.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/115552-GPS-Datalogger-(Using-Google-Earth)?highlight=GPS%2C+Datalogger

Welcome to the forums!
  • CwebberCwebber Posts: 8
    edited 2013-06-20 14:07
    Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

Chris
    edited 2013-06-20 15:09
    Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

Chris

See if post # 82 helps
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-06-20 17:04
    Sadly the GPS Module I used in that project was discontinued, so I will be revising the project to use a BS2pe (or any p-series) BASIC Stamp Module very soon. Sorry for the inconvenience. Also, the normal home for this project is at the following URL, however I had a database corruption and recently started restoring everything. All projects will be restored this weekend, and then that link will work again. :innocent:

http://www.savagecircuits.com/gpsdatalogger
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2013-06-20 18:12
    For a KML logger using the Propeller, check out this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/104049-Google-Earth-GPS-SD-Card-Logger-COMPLETE!
    edited 2013-06-21 13:23
    Andrew, send me that link via e-mail to chris (at) savagecircuits dot com and I will link to it from my project website. I can link it on the current and revised projects as a Propeller alternative.

Alternatively you can comment on the project on my site as you did here with the same information. The site is about 50% restored. That project should be up by tonight, so feel free to create a new account (old dta got lost, sorry) and post the first coment to the GPS Datalogger thread there. If you sign up I will PM you when the project has been restored.
    edited 2013-06-21 15:10
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. However even though that GPS model has been discontinued, it is still the one that I am using. I just soldered everything together today.

All I had available was a red LED (rather than a bi-color LED). What do I need to change in the code so that I can get an idea of the status of the board with just a red LED?

Currently right now, when I run the program (in the debug) it gets to 'Initializing.....' then nothing happens after that. I'm not sure what's going on or how to fix it.

Thanks,
    Chris
    edited 2013-06-21 15:49
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. However even though that GPS model has been discontinued, it is still the one that I am using. I just soldered everything together today.

All I had available was a red LED (rather than a bi-color LED). What do I need to change in the code so that I can get an idea of the status of the board with just a red LED?

Currently right now, when I run the program (in the debug) it gets to 'Initializing.....' then nothing happens after that. I'm not sure what's going on or how to fix it.

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris,
    I use the old GPS Module (Parallax 28146) also.

It only has a red LED. If it is blinking, it does not have Satellite lock.This may be due to you trying to use this indoors. The GPS module needs a good view of the sky in order to work correctly. Try moving it outside, and give it 15 minutes to acquire satellites.

EDIT:
    I just noticed that there was a Bi-Colored LED added in the circuit. I am not sure what that does at this point. Have to hunt down the schematic.
    edited 2013-06-21 16:31
    I found the zip file for the project, which I have attached.

There a a few programs associated with the project.

Which one is the one you are having problems with?
    edited 2013-06-21 17:00
    Publison wrote: »
    I found the zip file for the project, which I have attached.

There a a few programs associated with the project.

Which one is the one you are having problems with?

I'm having trouble with the GPS_Datalogger_V1.0.bs2‎ file.

In the comments at the top it says:

' LED Status:
    ' Blinking Green - Waiting for USB Thumb Drive to be inserted/ready.
    ' Blinking Red (Fast) - Writing KML data to thumb drive.
    ' Blinking Red (Slow) - Waiting for GPS signal lock.
    ' Solid Green - System ready, press button to start logging GPS data.
    ' Solid Red - Writing GPS data to thumb drive.
    ' Blinking Red/Green - Data logging complete, ready to remove drive.

This refers to the bi-color LED that was added to the circuit. So my circuit is exactly the same except instead of the bi-color, I only have a red. So that's one issue.

The second one is that in the Initialization portion of the code, my only gets to "Initializing....." and doesn't do anything after that. From what I can tell, it should be running at least up to the point that outputs the text (in the debugger window) "Waiting for USB Drive to Become Ready..."
    edited 2013-06-21 17:28
    Looks like right after "Initializing" it sends a request to the Datalogger ("E" at 9600 Baud"). and is waiting for a response, ( GOSUB Get_Data). I do not have a data logger, so I can not check the code.

You are using a standard BS2 chip? Other BS2 variants need to have the baud rate changed.

Maybe Chris Savage can chime in. I have to go till tomorrow.
    edited 2013-06-21 18:31
    Yes, if you don't have a Bi-Color LED you can still wire a Red and Green LED up with one in reverse to get the same functions.

If you look closely at the schematic you will see the Bi-Color LED is really just two LEDs back to back one in reverse. So, if you have a Red and a Green LED connect the resistor to P0 and then the Anode (long lead) of the Green LED to the resistor as well as the Cathode of the Red LED. Connect the Anode of the Red LED and the Cathode of the Green LED to P1. Now you have a Bi-Color system using only 2 pins. I hope this helps.
    edited 2013-06-24 15:49
    Thanks Chris, I do have another LED that I will hook up as you mentioned.

Publison,
    I believe I am using the standard BS2 chip, but how can I be sure? What else could it be besides the baud rate?

edited 2013-06-24 16:15
    Thanks Chris, I do have another LED that I will hook up as you mentioned.

Publison,
    I believe I am using the standard BS2 chip, but how can I be sure? What else could it be besides the baud rate?

A picture of your setup would help immensely. That would verify the BS2 chip used and connections to the UBS logger.

Without that, we are flying blind.
    edited 2013-06-25 08:12
    photo.JPG

This is my setup. As far as I know it is the same as the one Chris did (apart from the LED).
    640 x 480 - 142K
    edited 2013-06-25 10:18
    photo.JPG

This is my setup. As far as I know it is the same as the one Chris did (apart from the LED).

Very clean Installation! Looks like a clone of Chris' setup.

Looks like standard BS2 so the Baud rate should be OK.

I would just make sure none of the jumper wires going over the VDD and VSS busses to the logger are not touching either buss, (I would use insulated wires myself).

I'm not sure if a formatted thumb drive need to be inserted to go through initialization. Can't tell by the picture if there is one inserted or not. That's a question for Chris Savage. Maybe try and re formatting the thumb drive to the recommended file system on the PC.

Wish I had a data logger to go forward. It's on my wish list. :)

Jim
    edited 2013-06-25 12:59
    Thanks, I hadn't soldered anything in awhile so I was a little nervous, but it worked out.

I didn't have a thumb drive in that picture, however, I have tried it with one in. It was formatted to FAT32 I believe. I thought that was the correct format, but I could be wrong. Maybe I'll try some different formats when I get time and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.
    edited 2013-06-25 13:19
    Thanks, I hadn't soldered anything in awhile so I was a little nervous, but it worked out.

I didn't have a thumb drive in that picture, however, I have tried it with one in. It was formatted to FAT32 I believe. I thought that was the correct format, but I could be wrong. Maybe I'll try some different formats when I get time and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

FAT 32 is good with that drive. Maybe reformat and don't use "Quick Format".

Hopin' Chris S has more to offer.
    edited 2013-06-25 20:07
    Sorry, been at the hospital the last couple of days and will be again tomorrow. However I do have a moment to step in here and see what I can offer. I am assuming you have run all the test programs and the Datalogger test isn't working? Just wanted to verify that. Always run the individual test programs to make sure everything else is working so you can narrow the problem down. As for the USB drive...it must be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 with 512 bytes per sector. Also, if your thumb drive is one of those "secure" drives, it may not work. These typically come with an application that you load onto the PC allowing you to encrypt data on the drive. I have found that even when not using this software, drives designed for this don't seem to communicate with the Vinculum properly.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-06-27 06:58
    Sorry, been at the hospital the last couple of days and will be again tomorrow.

Hope all's well or will be soon, Chris. You're missed when you're not around to save the day!
    edited 2013-06-27 09:37
    erco wrote: »
    Hope all's well or will be soon, Chris. You're missed when you're not around to save the day!

Thanks Erco, the wife is home recovering now. And I am here to help try and save the day again. :innocent: