Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 2 Communication Problem — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 2 Communication Problem

RandyjpRandyjp Posts: 6
edited 2013-06-27 06:12 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I've just built the OEM BS2 kit following the instructions verbatim. I powered it up with a clean 5V dedicated P.S. (Vss to ground and vdd to5V). I connected the DB9 to my PC serial port and couldn't establish a COM connection. Next I ordered "USB to Serial (RS232) Adapted" from Parallax, downloaded the drivers and then connect my PC to the OEM BS2. Again, I can not establish a COM connection. UGGHH!

Can someone (please) tell what I can do to troubleshoot this problem further?? Thanks!

Comments

• davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2013-06-14 10:30
    ...not to insult - but check to make sure the TO-92 packs have been placed correctly. Some are transistors, one is the power monitor/shutdown device. Having them mixed will result in a no-go.

And, welcome to the Forum!
  • RandyjpRandyjp Posts: 6
    edited 2013-06-18 10:52
    davejames wrote: »
    ...not to insult - but check to make sure the TO-92 packs have been placed correctly. Some are transistors, one is the power monitor/shutdown device. Having them mixed will result in a no-go.

And, welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for your time. You suggested a good thing to check. I did install them correctly. Anything else you can think of to check?
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2013-06-18 11:44
    Randy, did you purchase the OEM kit directly from Parallax? Or, did you follow the kit's directions to build from components you purchased somewhere else?
    I am asking, to make sure you have a properly programmed BASIC Stamp Interpreter chip. Sometimes, people follow the OEM directions using an unprogrammed PIC chip, which won't work.
    edited 2013-06-18 11:47
    ...hmmmm - any chance of top/bottom pictures of the board?

Anything getting warm/hot after powered is applied?

FYI - I've assembled two of these little guys with no issues, so you can rest assured that the product does work!

***ah! Ma'am Lindsay has brought up a great point! :thumb:
    edited 2013-06-19 10:31
    Steph,
    I bought this OEM Kit from Mouser Electronics. Where they bought it, I don't know. Perhaps you know? Here is a link to Mouser which may help:http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Parallax/27291/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhN6bcDCU7cVhMjWkcjZCzRqO72CmSIyec%3d
    A PIC chip that is not "Programmed" is an interesting thought!
    I did follow the kit build directions to the letter and I have more than 30 years soldering experience.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2013-06-19 11:04
    Mouser Electronics is one of our distributors, and so would be a reputable source for buying our BASIC Stamp 2 OEM kit. That makes the unprogrammed-interpreter-chip problem far, far less likely (unless we had a programming or kitting error here at Parallax).

Here are a few other routine items you might rule out, before contacting Parallax Tech Support directly:

http://www.parallax.com/portals/0/help/BASICStamp/Connect/
    edited 2013-06-20 06:07
    Steph,
    I have just finished checking these items and found no problems. What about replacing the interpreter chip? Can I buy one from Parallax? What is the P/N? Thanks for your help!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-06-20 06:30
    Please call Parallax Tech Support directly. They may have you try some things. Rather than just replace the interpreter chip (which is unlikely to be the problem), they'll probably have you send your assembled kit in (so they can check it out) and replace the whole thing.
    edited 2013-06-21 08:32
    Thanks Mike! Sounds good!
    edited 2013-06-26 08:40
    Randyjp wrote: »
    Thanks Mike! Sounds good!

Randyjp - any movement on this?

Curious in San Jose would like to know...
    edited 2013-06-27 06:12
    Dave,
    I'm waiting for an RMA# to send the module in to Paralax for repair.
    Randy