Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any Bluetooth protocol experts (developing a BT stack on HCI only) — Parallax Forums

Any Bluetooth protocol experts (developing a BT stack on HCI only)

agsags Posts: 386
edited 2013-06-08 22:53 in Accessories
Wondering if there are any Bluetooth gurus in this community. I'm attempting to create a partial stack implementation to support targeted devices without the overhead of a full stack.

I'm currently stuck trying to maintain a connection. I am able to inquire, page, and connect to a remote BT device. However, the connection is quickly terminated. Since I'm building on just the HCI interface, there is no L2CAP layer. I'm wondering if there is something that the L2CAP layer does to keep the connection alive that I'm doing, causing my local controller to think the connection has been terminated.

Comments

• prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-06-08 17:47
    This might be off topic, but its something we are looking at right now.

The HC05 & HC06 bluetooth serial cable replacement "just work" with windows and linux; and just won't work with OSX and iOS.

If you can figure out what we code into the host application to get a standard HC05 to talk to an iPhone, I would be really interested.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-06-08 19:22
    If you can figure out what we code into the host application to get a standard HC05 to talk to an iPhone, I would be really interested.

You need to get into the "Made For iPod/iPhone/iPad" program (MFi). Then, your device needs to have the Apple authorization chip built in.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-06-08 20:44
    SRLM wrote: »
    You need to get into the "Made For iPod/iPhone/iPad" program (MFi). Then, your device needs to have the Apple authorization chip built in.

This is how we define "just won't work", as $20,000 just to START would be better spent almost anywhere else.

But there's got to be a way to trick the iphone into playing dumb serial terminal over bluetooth. Somebody that knows the innards of the protocol might figure it out.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-06-08 20:59
    Alas, Apple, in their wisdom, has not provided SPP support for the iPhone's Bluetooth driver. They support the following only:

HFP - Hands-Free Profile
    HSP - Headset Profile
    AD2P - Stereo audio streaming (iPhone OS 3.0 and above; iPhone 3G and newer)
    PAN - Tethering (iPhone OS 3.0 and above; iPhone 3G and newer)
    AVRCP - Media controls (Partial support since iPhone OS 3.0, improved in iOS 4.1; iPhone 3G and newer)

There's also some Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy profiles that are now supported. These don't need the Apple authorization chip, but, to develop the program, you have to join the Apple Developer Program for $100.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-06-08 22:53
    Mike Green wrote: »
    ... but, to develop the program, you have to join the Apple Developer Program for $100.

And your company has to pass a background check (at least for MFi). I'm not sure how invasive it is, but getting started for Apple device development is a big hassle.