Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
X10, Trigger Mode, and a Request — Parallax Forums

X10, Trigger Mode, and a Request

DJJohnson70DJJohnson70 Posts: 10
edited 2013-12-17 15:59 in Accessories
I recently received a PropScope for testing. I have 2 questions and a request for the software. 1) When I set both probes to the X10 setting in the Tools menu, only Channel 1 properly shows the correct voltages. Channel 2 still shows the X1 values. 2) I am trying to perform a single capture when an event happens. This appears to be the "Step" function in the Trigger menu, but this does not wait for a pulse to capture. It just captures a flat line. Am I doing this incorrectly, or doesn't a "single" mode exist? 3) It would be beneficial to have a Save/Load configuration feature with the probe, dial, and trigger settings so I don't have to keep changing values between common measurements. Is this a possibility? Thanks, Dan

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-06-21 18:18
    Dan, I apologize...I am who you originally spoke with and asked you to post this here. I will contact the author of the software to see if we can get you a proper reply. Please feel free to PM me if your question is still not answered by the close of Monday.
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2013-07-03 21:46
    Hi Dan,
    I'm the author of the PropScope software. I apologize that I didn't see your post before today. Best
    way to contact me is directly via email: hsander at gmail dot com.

Here finally some answers:
    1) I started up PropScope and connected both probes to a 5V signal. I set the switch on both probes from 1X to 10X. I clicked on the "Tools" menu, selected "Manage Probes" and entered "10" for both probes. I've attached the result- everything looks fine to me.
    Is it possible that you didn't set the probe switch to the 10x setting?
    10x.png

2) I started up PropScope and set the trigger mode to step. I also set the trigger level (the yellow indicator on the left) to a non-zero value- in my case 1.7V. I then clicked on the circle next to the trigger "step" to start looking for the trigger condition. The graph then indicates "waiting for trigger". Finally, I touched the probe to my 5V signal which caused the probe to acquire the signal and then pause. The attached graph shows the signal both before and after the trigger condition.

I assume you didn't set your trigger level from the default value of 0V- which would cause the trigger to fire when the signal was at 0V.
    trig2.png

3) I'm quite busy with other projects but I'll add your suggestion as a possible future enhancement.

Hanno
    823 x 742 - 208K
    823 x 742 - 193K
  • DJJohnson70DJJohnson70 Posts: 10
    edited 2013-07-08 15:43
    I currently am not in a position to create a problem steps report for the trigger mode, and I see that your screenshots are correct, but I do not get the same results for the x10 setting. I have attached a PSR (.mhtml zipped file) showing what I did, and what my results are. It clearly does not show 50V on channel 2, but it does for channel 1. I will create a PSR for the trigger mode as well when I can gain access to the required hardware. Thanks, Dan
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-07-08 16:36
    I currently am not in a position to create a problem steps report for the trigger mode, and I see that your screenshots are correct, but I do not get the same results for the x10 setting. I have attached a PSR (.mhtml zipped file) showing what I did, and what my results are. It clearly does not show 50V on channel 2, but it does for channel 1. I will create a PSR for the trigger mode as well when I can gain access to the required hardware. Thanks, Dan

This is what I get with 2.0.5. with both probes set to x10 and software set to x10

Screen shot:

PropScope Error.JPG

Had not noticed before, but I am able to replicate it every time.
    723 x 373 - 36K
    edited 2013-07-08 17:33
    Publison wrote: »
    This is what I get with 2.0.5. with both probes set to x10 and software set to x10

Screen shot:

PropScope Error.JPG

Had not noticed before, but I am able to replicate it every time.

Thanks Publison for the independent test- looks like I'll have to dig a bit. Were you able to replicate the trigger issue?
    Hanno
    edited 2013-07-08 17:38
    Hanno wrote: »
    Thanks Publison for the independent test- looks like I'll have to dig a bit. Were you able to replicate the trigger issue?
    Hanno

Hanno,

I'll check the trigger issue tomorrow and report back.

Hope you have been earthquake free for a while.

Jim
    edited 2013-07-08 17:51
    Hey Jim, Yes mostly shake free. House mostly fixed and downtown was finally opened last week. Here are some before and after photos: http://goo.gl/qwhjh
    I've figured out the problem- I tested on a machine running v2.03 where the probe scaling worked. In v2.05 I see the issue you're seeing. I've verified that the triggering works as intended.
    H
    edited 2013-07-09 06:25
    The trigger function is working fine. I think I was setting the trigger voltage too low, maybe from the x10 scale issue. When that is set at a reasonable value, then the trigger is working fine. Sorry about that mistake.
    edited 2013-07-09 08:54
    @all

Also verified trigger is working fine in Version 2.05
    edited 2013-12-13 05:36
    Has there been any progress on fixing the x10 setting in 2.05?
    edited 2013-12-17 15:59