Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
suggestion simple ide improvements — Parallax Forums

suggestion simple ide improvements

SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
edited 2013-09-23 11:34 in Learn with BlocklyProp
hi all, know your busy with the librarys
but if and when you get the chance, a feature i would like in simple ide is the ability to turn on in settings , auto indent
and when you hit return at the end of the line it goes right under the first char typed on the line above.
like the prop tool.
thanks. its fun to revisit C
dan

Comments

• Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2013-06-06 08:29
    Sawmiller wrote: »
    hi all, know your busy with the librarys
    but if and when you get the chance, a feature i would like in simple ide is the ability to turn on in settings , auto indent
    and when you hit return at the end of the line it goes right under the first char typed on the line above.
    like the prop tool.
    thanks. its fun to revisit C
    dan

Thanks for the suggestion, Sawmiller. I will log it on the project site.
  • spinbobspinbob Posts: 27
    edited 2013-06-13 09:52
    I would like to be able to search for text in all the project files.
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2013-06-13 13:16
    find and replace works for me
  • spinbobspinbob Posts: 27
    edited 2013-06-14 07:36
    eightMaybe I should be more clear. If I have a project open with 8 C files then I would like to see a list of places the search finds. I have used this in Microchip IDE and I think is the most useful tool of all, they call it find in files.
    The next most used is being able to hightlight multiple lines and add "//" comment them out. And the reverse. This is great for troubleshooting.
  • John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
    edited 2013-08-19 05:42
    Using the SimpleIDE User Guide & poking around:

- I could not find icon or keyboard shortcut for Comment / Uncomment blocks.
    - Some IDE have a way to jump to the matching brace: from a { , ctrl+P jumps to partner }

Is there a channel for users to directly add requests for feature list of SimpleIDE?
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2013-08-22 14:12

Is there a channel for users to directly add requests for feature list of SimpleIDE?

You can email SimpleIDE@parallax.com for bug reports and feature requests; the address is in the software's About screen.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,240
    edited 2013-09-02 04:03
    I've been using Arduino for a short time, and I've put together the following list of suggestions for changes to the IDE. I've made a concerted effort to keep the changes on this list small, simple, and (hopefully) easy to implement.
    Looks like a pretty short list. :P

BTW welcome to the Parallax forums.

Doc
  • evil_aaronmevil_aaronm Posts: 11
    edited 2013-09-07 19:18
    I'd add a file rename in the Project Manager panel. Seems like once you've created a file of a given name, your only option is to delete it, and you can't delete the initial project file. I had to create an entirely new project just to change the name. Not a huge deal, but if we're considering improvements...

Code folding would be a lovely addition, also.

Under the "I'd like a pony" category, Vi-mode would be killer. (Not interested in a Vi vs. Emacs war.)

Otherwise, it's very useful as a relatively new tool. Keep up the good work.
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2013-09-23 11:34
    I like SimpleIDE and appreciate all the work that has gone into it, but like some others there is a feature I'd like to see. Would it be possible to add a small window/widget that shows the position of the cursor?

Not a deal killer, just one of those "Gee, that'd be handy!"

Amanda