Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cannot find -lsimpletools — Parallax Forums

Cannot find -lsimpletools

ecuageoecuageo Posts: 5
edited 2013-06-03 15:45 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I'm a total noob at this, any help would be much appreciated. I am trying to run any project from SimpleIDE but run into the same problem. SimpleIDE can't find the header file:

Project Directory: /Users/georgesouth/projects/electronics/SimpleIDE/Learn/Examples/C Intro/Basics/

propeller-elf-gcc -o a.out -Os -mlmm -I . -m32bit-doubles -fno-exceptions -std=c99 -I ../../../Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools -L ../../../Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools Hello Message.c -lsimpletools
/Users/georgesouth/projects/electronics/SimpleIDE/parallax/bin/../lib/gcc/propeller-elf/4.6.1/../../../../propeller-elf/bin/ld: cannot find -lsimpletools
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Done. Build Failed!

I am running Mac OS X and the version 0.7.2 of SimpleIDE. I am trying to load the program into my Hydra board. I have been able to load a simple program into a quickstart from the command line.

I do see the device connected both on the command line and in the port selector of SimpleIDE:

ls /dev | grep cu
cu.Bluetooth-Modem
cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
cu.usbserial-A1000RPy

I have all the compiler/linker/etc settings to default:
Board Type: Hydra
compiler type: c
memory model: LMM
Optimization: -Os size
Compiler: 32 bit double
Other compiler options: -std=c99
Linker: both mathlib and pthread lib are unchecked
other linker options: -lsimpletools

My first thought on solving this are the search path. I couldn't find a way to change those paths from the gui. I do find the simpletools.h file where I think it should be:
/Users/georgesouth/projects/electronics/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools/simpletools.h
Or should it be inside of the Learn folder?

Again, thanks for any time spent helping.

George

Comments

• Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2013-06-03 08:41
    Hi ecuageo, and welcome to the forums!

It looks like you have an outdated version of SimpleIDE (0.7.2). The current version today is 0.9.26. Much has changed!

Try starting fresh from here:

http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-set-simpleide

Be sure to check back frequently - further improvements to both SimpleIDE and the Learn Library folder are in the works. In the mean time, this version of the software should work fine with the Propeller C Tutorials posted.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Steph
  • ecuageoecuageo Posts: 5
    edited 2013-06-03 14:50
    That worked! I didn't realize the big change in the versions. The new install process is much better. Thanks for your time to reply and the solution.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2013-06-03 15:45
    You are most welcome. You can check out the SimpleIDE User Guide in the Help file to see what new features were added.