Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee Pro Questions — Parallax Forums

XBee Pro Questions

ryfitzger227ryfitzger227 Posts: 99
edited 2013-05-29 20:59 in Accessories
I have never really fooled with wireless stuff, but with the project that I'm working on I have a need for it. I have to use to XBee Pro for the 1 mile outdoor distance. I normally won't be going but around 1/4 mile, but I need the extra distance if I was to take it to another facility.

I just had a couple of questions on how the XBee worked and if what I'm wanting to use it for will work.

Well I'm using it for serial communication with a BS2. Again, the computer will be about 1/4 mile away from the BS2 and I need it to stay in constant communication via serial port. I was hoping I could connect the 2 data wires off of the FTDI chip on the BS2 board and connect it to the XBee. Then I could just connect the two data wires on the other end onto another USB cord and plug it into the computer. Will the XBee work like that?

Another thing. How many XBees do I need? Do I need two - one for each end?

The big question. Directly overtop of where I'm planning on using this is a very high voltage power line (I mean going from central virginia into DC, directly off of the substation). I have multiple power lines between that 1/4 mile going overtop of the surface also. I was told that those power lines could make wireless communication impossible. Is that true? How about cell phones, radios, etc - will they create an interference?

The answers to these questions should get me started on using XBee boards, and I'm excited about using it.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-05-29 20:59
    I think the data wires on the BS2 board outputs 5V logic. You'd need a level shifter to use with the 3.3V XBee.

When they say the XBee Pro has a one mile range, that's under optimal conditions (which very rarely exist). I think you'll be lucky to get 1/4 mile range without power lines.

I'd think you'd have a better chance of this working if you use the 900HP version of XBees.

You do need two XBees. One of these boards would let you connect the XBee to a PC. This board should take care of the 5V to 3.3V level shifting when using the XBee with a BS2.

What's between the two XBees? Are there houses etc.? I have some 900 MHz XBee XSC modules that are supposed to have a 14 mile range, but you put a block of houses (less than 1/4 mile) between the two XBees lose the ability to communicate with each other.