Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee S1 1mW with QuickStart — Parallax Forums

XBee S1 1mW with QuickStart

EMHmark7EMHmark7 Posts: 93
edited 2013-05-29 10:43 in Accessories
Hi,

I am doing the tutorial test but I am having a hard time to make it work. (I am on a ASAP real project)
I have:
BASE : ZBee module connected to USB ZBee adapter
REMOTE: ZBee module connected to a QuickStart but self powered with a regulator.

-Both sides have LEDs as shown in the tutorial.
-But the terminal on Propeller side is the Parallax Serial Terminal (I have connection problems with using X-CTU)

Loopback range test works 100%.
ZBees setup to default.

I have been able to send whatever fast from BASE to REMOTE for a while.

I have tried to put a common ground so maybe the Parallax to BASE would work with that.
Now, I type a lot and get a character once in a while at regular frequence, it will not pass everything I type.
Parallax to BASE still does not work.
If I remove the common ground, or even remove the pullup resistor-to-LED the problem persists.
So, I do not see what is wrong. LEDS show a transmit and receive for BASE to REMOTE. But none is happening the other way. So, maybe at that level, it is also either a XBEE or Parallax Terminal problem.

X-CTU cannot see my QuickStart, So, I use Parallax Serial Terminal
BUT with "FullDuplexSerial" library (I am not shure I can read from the computer terminal with that library)

I am using only a normal digital multimeter so maybe it cannot see the drop even if I send a full train of signal.
So, I feel - even if loopback works - if I transmit without it, the voltage drops of only 0.1V.

1) Anybody got such behaviors on your side? (no response in the Propller-Base way) (One char in a while)

2) What about putting a common ground here? (Parallax told me Yes)

Responses Really appreciated!
Thanks,

Now, it works well both ways (Almost, sometimes)
I had problems making Quiskstart recognized, so I plugged in another USB. But Seems a software matter:
I had to 1) shutdown the Paralax Terminal and Propeller tool, 2) Plug the USB, and 3) Identify Hardware in Propeller Tool 4) Start the terminal.

But now it seems better to have the Propeller tool already running, and sometimes, need to unplug USB and retry again.

On the BASE X-CTU terminal side, if I unplugged and replugged, I had to 1) Select Com Port in PC Settings, 2) READ modems in Modem Configuration.

Changing nothing else than common ground. It works.

Q1) I am concerned by the .1V drop while receiving signal (maybe it is just that my multimeter makes average)

The 2 modules are side-by-side.
Sometimes I get sessions where there are erratic delays and character losses
I could avoid by unplugging QuickStart and replug.

Another weard stuff : Even when the QuickStart is unpowered but the XBee is, The green LED near the QuickStart upper-left screw hole is on. I suppose it comes from IOs connected to the XBee. But is it bad for the QuickStart?

Please, let me know if you have comments: similar experiences, solutions, etc.

Maybe, after all, even with new USB cables, it could be a problem of cable.