Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Xbee and 8bytes of synchronous communication. — Parallax Forums

Xbee and 8bytes of synchronous communication.

dannyboyfldannyboyfl Posts: 4
edited 2013-05-27 21:01 in Accessories
Not sure if there is a clever way to approach this... But I'm wanting to make a wireless connection for a Lanc Video controller. Does anyone think its possible to do it with out using a micro controller? Maybe some how just let the master and slave Lanc devices transparently communicate thought the xbees?

Lanc works as an Master and slave synchronous communication. The master (video camera) sends 8 start bits, and in bytes 0-3 the slave (camera controller) sends 8 bit commands to the master (video camera), then in 4-7 the master (video camera) sends back info to the slave (camera controller). It does all of this on on a single wire.
A link to more info on Lanc Protocol. http://www.boehmel.de/lanc.htm

I'm hoping I might be able to bypass wishing a micro controller to keep the project simple.

Thanks for any input or ideas!
Dan.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2013-05-27 18:14
    I doubt you can do this with just xbees but I would recommend going to the Digi site and asking in their forums.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-05-27 19:15
    Reading the description you furnished via the link, it looks like it might work since it seems to look like a 9600 Baud asynchronous data stream which the xBees can handle. The only thing I can suggest is to try it.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-05-27 21:01
    If I understand the description correctly, the camera provides the start bits, to which all transmissions to the camera have to be synchronized. I doubt that you will be able to achieve this via the XBee without help from a micro, since the XBee's serial side is completely asynchronous, with the input and output being entirely independent of each other.

-Phil