Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Completed Fire Fighting Robot using Propeller — Parallax Forums

Completed Fire Fighting Robot using Propeller

nvale55@gmail.comnvale55@gmail.com Posts: 15
edited 2013-05-23 15:42 in Robotics
Hi,
A few months ago i built and entered my robot into the 2013 Trinity Fire Fighting competition. Unfortunately i didn't win, but it was able to solve the maze and extinguish a flame. I used a Propeller ASC as the brains for the robot due to its eight cores, and i used an arduino to read the uv sensor and output a high or low signal to the propeller to indicate whether it saw the flame or not. The reason i didn't use the ASC's built in ADC was because i kind of fried it the night before while playing around with the sensor setup. For more info and the code use, you can check it out at http://www.greengeartech.com/i-c-e-fire-fighting-robot/.
Picture 8.jpg
Picture 7.jpg
1024 x 768 - 88K
1024 x 768 - 80K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-05-22 13:29
    Congrats, nvale55! That's a neat contest. I won the very first one in 1994 (at the Science Center with emcee Jake) using a simple BS1 controlled robot. There's always lots of sleep lost before that contest, prolly why you fried your ASC's ADC. Magic smoke smells the best at 3 AM ! :)
  • nvale55@gmail.comnvale55@gmail.com Posts: 15
    edited 2013-05-22 14:25
    Really!!! that's awesome and thanks....yea that's basically what happen about 4 hours of sleep in three days along with having to do homework and go to classes, but whatever, at the end it was worth it.
  • shimniokshimniok Posts: 177
    edited 2013-05-23 07:39
    Very cool, nice work! My first foray into robotics was a local firefighting competition and I failed miserably so excellent work on successfully navigating/extinguishing! Looking forward to reading more about it on your link there.
  • nvale55@gmail.comnvale55@gmail.com Posts: 15
    edited 2013-05-23 07:50
    Thanks...yea the first year i did it too my team's robot failed horribly due to last minute problems, which is why i decided this year to keep it as simple as possible. This way if anything went wrong i could easily diagnose the problem and hopefully fix it (or replace it like i did for the UV sensors and Arduino)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-05-23 15:42
    I have a dusty old VHS tape from that first TCFFHRC in 1994. I keep meaning to digitize & Youtube it.

Now where did I put that dusty old VCR? :)