Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless Communication from Propeller to Computer using PLX-DAQ — Parallax Forums

Wireless Communication from Propeller to Computer using PLX-DAQ

RustyKRustyK Posts: 2
edited 2013-05-19 17:49 in Accessories
Hey there,
Bit of a rookie question here: I'm a masters student looking to implement a SLAM (Synchronous Localization and Mapping) solution on a BoeBot being controlled by a Propeller. What I need is to transfer specific data from a few sensors (heading, distance travelled etc.) from the mobile robot to a PC or Mac. The data will be stored in an Excel worksheet via PLX-DAQ. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a simple and inexpensive way to communicate wirelessly between a mobile robot and a computer. I've been told about the XBee modules and was wondering if this would do the trick! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

R.K.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-05-19 15:22
    It sounds like an xBee will work. PLX-DAQ is not sensitive to timing which is the issue for downloading programs. As far as PLX-DAQ is concerned, the wireless link looks just like a wired link. You could also use a WiFly module if you want although the setup is a little more complex, but the data travels on the WiFi network used and that can provide more range than you can get with the xBees or Bluetooth. Download and read Parallax's introduction to xBee.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-05-19 17:49
    XBees would probably be the easiest wireless communication solution for this application.

Another possible solution is the Wixel. Besides being a wireless link, they also let you program the Propeller wirelessly. Here's Martin's thread about how to set up the Wixel to program a Propeller.

One of the least expensive wireless solutions I've seen are the Nordic nRF2401+ modules. They aren't as simple to use as the XBees and Wixels. If you were to use a Nordic module, you'd need a second Propeller connected to the PC to act as a bridge. The Nordics would be less expensive than the XBees or Wixels even if you add in the cost of the extra Propeller board.