Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Arduino programming help offer — Parallax Forums

Arduino programming help offer

tomega3tomega3 Posts: 14
edited 2013-05-21 06:53 in Robotics
Hi All, I am new to robotics but have been doing a lot of arduino programming for systems that do not roll around. I recently purchased a parallax Stingray and joined this forum. I had many questions and everybody has been a terrific help answering them.

In turn I would like to offer help, if you need it, for arduino programming. I want to return the favor so to speak.

I will not write all the code for your project, I will offer advice and code examples and maybe demo programs if I can.

Between my day job and my stingray project I will do my best to answer your questions in a timely manner. It may take a day or three or more to get back to you. If I do not know an answer, I will attempt to research an answer. If I can't come up with an answer I will let you know.

Send a post to this thread if you have an arduino programming question.

Thanks again to everybody for all your help with my robot questions.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-05-16 14:33
    Thanks for your offer. Please keep in mind that it's important to post any questions in the appropriate forum. This one is specifically for robotics for example. Also keep in mind that this is primary a Parallax support site and only incidentally would be an Arduino support location, mostly when people use Parallax products with an Arduino.
  • tomega3tomega3 Posts: 14
    edited 2013-05-16 15:31
    Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure where to post. I just want to help.

Should I remove my post?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-05-16 16:09
    tomega3: Please don't delete your post and kind offer to help. Parallax has a BoE-sized Arduino shield perfect for BoeBots, and the fact that it's out of stock now is testimony to its popularity: http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/arduino/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/820/Default.aspx I bet plenty of people might like some assistance with Arduino. There are several Forumistas who are conversant with Arduino and other processors in addition to Parallax's.

Mike is right that this is a Parallax form, and since there are Parallax processors and Parallax robots, it sure seems like your hybrid of a Parallax Stingray robot with an Arduino would be of interest to many people here. IMO this is the best forum along those lines.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-05-16 16:55
    tomega3 wrote: »
    Should I remove my post?

Please keep your post on here.
    I'm one of those people who sometimes works with Arduinos. Not by choice, mind you, but just trying to keep the kiddies happy (or whatever).
    I'm perpetually whining-wishing somebody would use the Propeller to make an Arduino shield that gives the Arduino some cool features, like reduce the dependency on those annoying interrupts, maybe provide VGA output, etc.

I'm no expert but it appears to me that some Propeller-based shields could make for some very interesting hybrid devices - use the Arduino as a "front" while the Propeller kicks some butt in the backroom with its parallel processing abilities.

Just thinking out loud, tho.
    It's nice of you to toss your offer out here.
    Welcome to the forum.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-05-17 06:18
    The Arduino as a controller for the Stringray should work pretty well. For a $100, a motor shield, and an Arduino you've got a nice platform. Throw in a Ping))) on a turret with a few bump sensors and you're still under $200.

While this forum is hosted by Parallax and they make microcontrollers, Arduino users popup from time to time asking how to use various Parallax sensors with it. For the sensors that I own I've ported some of the PBasic sample to the Arduino's C++ dialect to help out, and learn.parallax.com has samples for many others. Since you might own a different collection of Parallax sensors there's a need there when someone shows up.

I actually use the BS2, Arduino, and Propeller chip and tend to mix it up between projects. Now that there's C++ on the Propeller I've been starting to look into writing portable code between the two microcontrollers. They both have similar amounts of memory, but the cores are much easier to deal with than timers.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2013-05-17 07:56
    In turn I would like to offer help, if you need it, for arduino programming. I want to return the favor so to speak.
    tomega3, there has been some work done on porting the Arduino IDE and libraries to the Prop. Take a look at the Pellerduino thread at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/147744-Pellerduino?highlight=pellerduino . It would be great if you could try out your Arduino programs on the Propeller.
    edited 2013-05-17 08:43
    wishing somebody would use the Propeller to make an Arduino shield that gives the Arduino some cool features, like reduce the dependency on those annoying interrupts, maybe provide VGA output, etc.

Capital idea, ElectricAye! Everyone and his brother makes a Prop-based board. It's surprising in that gallimaufry of choices, there is nothing like what you describe to tap into the shield-crazed Arduino crowd.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-05-17 10:50
    Keep in mind that Parallax sells the Robotics Shield Kit, a BOE Bot with an Arduino shield for easy connection to servos and other parts. Add your own Arduino. Andy did a terrific job up-vising the BOE Bot learning guide for this product, and is available for free reading on the learn.parallax.com site. There isn't a public section regarding this product, but posts within relevant sections should work well.

ElectricEye, a Propeller-based co-processor shield is indeed a terrific idea. It does all those things, and would support a simple command structure to communicate with the Arduino. To my knowledge no one has done one, though Phil's Propeller Backpack comes close to the basic concept. A while back I did an article for SERVO on using a Propeller as a sound co-processor, driven by the Arduino to play MIDI, sound effects, and WAV audio. I think it used only two cores, leaving six free for something else...

The one stumbling block is that many Arduino users don't want to learn a new programming language, so it would be nifty if the board came pre-programmed (like the Backpack) for the most common functionality. You'd then activate/deactivate the pre-programmed blocks through setup code.

Erco, when can we have a first prototype?

-- Gordon
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-05-17 11:00

-- Gordon

He can have the plywood mock up by Monday. It will take a while to get enough relays to build the working prototype. :smile:

@tomega3: Lending your Arduino expertise to the Pellerduino project Dave Hein mentioned above would be a great contribution.
    edited 2013-05-17 13:31

I'm seeing a universal Stamp/Prop/PicAxe/AVR/Arduino/RasPi/Launchpad/x86/Orangutan translator.

Relay-driven, natch.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-05-17 13:52
    Natch...

whatever you do folks, don't dare erco...
  • tomega3tomega3 Posts: 14
    edited 2013-05-18 06:23
    Hi all, I would be glad to help out the Pellerduino project if I can. From what I read on the Propeller, it looks more like a SBC (single board computer) than a microcontroller. I think the rasberry pi is also a SBC. Sometimes you just want a little microcontroller, sometimes you want/need a SBC. It all depends on you application.

I have read that there is coming a 32 bit 80 Mhz arduino compatible (IDE wise, language and library too) so the horsepower should be there. I am looking into one called an RFduino (see http://www.rfduino.com) for my future projects.

I am an old assembly, and C programmer from years gone by. My first computer was a PDP 8, (see http://www.pdp8.net/pdp8i/pdp8i.shtml)
    I have worked with the intel 80x86 and motorola 68000 chips a long time ago. My development environment is Windows. I choose the arduino mainly because its language, entry costs, and proliferation of libraries and its IDE runs on Windows. I did not know about the Propeller at the time I got back into working with microcontrollers. I would have got one back then but I am committed to the arduino platform

The rasberry pi looks interesting to but I do not have the interest or time to learn a new development environment such as Linux, Python, etc.

I guess its a comfort thing, You go with what you know and if you have the time to learn a whole new OS and language go for it.
    An old dog can learn new tricks if he wants to and I may eventually get a Propeller or Rasberry pi when my day job and other projects afford me the time.

quick message for erco: I ordered the 100:1 gear motors with the encoders for my stingray, when I get them installed and get the encoder code runnning I will post a progress report. I found a 132:1 gear motor with encoders for $30 each on dfrobot website.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-05-18 07:50
    Wouldn't the SparkFun CMUcam v4 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10032 essentially be a propellerino? Besides its typical machine vision applications I could see many other uses for it. It has a video out, is in the Arduino shield form factor, has an uSD card slot, a nifty little camera, and a few servo headers which could be used for general purpose I/O.

BTW I'll also throw in a plug for Phil's Propeller Backpack. While it was intended to be used for Basic Stamp 2 users to add video text output, it's equally usable from an Arduino, and equally useful. It's absolutely tiny too.
    Hi all, I would be glad to help out the Pellerduino project if I can. From what I read on the Propeller, it looks more like a SBC (single board computer) than a microcontroller. I think the rasberry pi is also a SBC. Sometimes you just want a little microcontroller, sometimes you want/need a SBC. It all depends on you application.

The Propeller chip is a microcontroller like the Basic Stamp2 or Arduino. Essentially it is a complete microprocessor and RAM on a single chip intended to be used without an operating system, like the classic microcomputers from the 80's. This means that your code can interact in real time without concern that another program will access the CPU. The Raspberry Pi is a single board computer which loads an operating system from an SD card which has a protected mode kernel, virtual memory, and multiple processes.

Microcontrollers are fairly easy to use to control things like servos and steppers, while a Raspberry Pi would be tricky because you would need to write a kernel driver to interact with real time devices. I used to write kernel mode code for a living in the late 80's and 90's and really don't feel like doing it again, so I'll stick with microcontrollers.
    edited 2013-05-18 19:16
    ...ElectricEye, a Propeller-based co-processor shield is indeed a terrific idea....The one stumbling block is that many Arduino users don't want to learn a new programming language, so it would be nifty if the board came pre-programmed (like the Backpack) for the most common functionality. You'd then activate/deactivate the pre-programmed blocks through setup code....

Yes, indeed, for the most part (present company excluded), you can not expect the Arduino crowd to want to learn anything outside their precious Arduino bubble. They will balk at anything unfamiliar. So whatever you do, it must be ready-to-go right out of the box. But I can easily imagine a dozen or so different Prop-based shields could be made from exactly the same hardware - only the pre-loaded SPIN software would need to be different. Or could pre-loaded EEPROMs be swappable? is that a possibility? In any case, interfacing with the Arduino would need to be a no-brainer. But I'm sure once the Arduino users got a feeling for the possibilities, some of them would be eager to find out how these new-fangled shields strut their stuff.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-05-20 14:05
    I've brought up the concept of pre-coded EEPROMs here before, and the result was a combination of crickets and "wha???" Seriously depressing. I thought it was a good idea. Make your Prop Shield do anything you want, without coding, with a cottage industry of EEPROM's provided by the world's best Propeller programmers. Instead of just trying to preach to the Arduino crowd in the hopes of converting them, sell them something.

The concept behind the Propeller isn't an obvious one -- I know because I didn't get it at first -- so something pre-programmed out of the chute that *does something* is a good way to broaden its appeal to users of single-core MCUs. The most obvious are projects that involve WAV playback from a uSD card, wheel encoders (maybe the whole PID control system for two motors), remote control listening, that sort of thing. A single prop can do these things, and several others at the same time.
    edited 2013-05-20 22:11
    ....a cottage industry of EEPROMs.... Instead of just trying to preach to the Arduino crowd in the hopes of converting them, sell them something.....

Sell them something! Yes indeed! I wish some of the entrepreneurial geniuses on here would get busy on this. It seems to me it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.
    edited 2013-05-21 06:53
    Love it. Make shields like servopal, pwmpal, soundpal, etc using the prop. They function out of the box to serve a useful purpose, plus they can be reprogrammed.

Genius!