Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
eddie control board reset button command missing? — Parallax Forums

eddie control board reset button command missing?

namusnamus Posts: 18
edited 2013-12-03 03:58 in Robotics
Hi,
at the robot platform eddie, there is a reset button at the control board.
Sometimes when I drive against an obstacle (i.e. thresholds) for a longer time, the robot doesn't drive any more, the motor stops and the robot reacts no longer.
So I have to press the reset button manualy by hand and it works again.
Now, my board is under a cladding so I need a possibility to press this button without disassembling the cladding.
I wonder if there is a command to do this, i.e. via parallax terminal?
Or is there a possibility to mount this button at another place? There are some holes in the board labeld "Prog En" and "Extra I/O" Perhaps it is possible to use this?
And what does the reset button do generally?
Thank you and cheers.

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-05-13 20:21
    The reset button toggles the RES line on the Propeller. This causes it to reload the stored program to memory, and start all over again.

It doesn't look like the EDDIE firmware has a reset command. It would be easy enough to add your own, though:

Eddie Firmware :: Eddie.spin :: Parse
    elseif strcomp(@InputBuffer, string("RESET"))
        CheckLastParameter
        Reboot

If you want to add an external reset button, that is possible as well. You'll have to solder some wires to either side of the current reset button, and run them to your new button. The original will still work after this modification.

The "Prog En" is to disable reflashing the firmware on the EEPROM, and the Extra I/O is to interface more sensors.

But anyway, the reset is just hiding the problem: I think you need to look at the problem of stalling against a wall. That may be a feature in the Eddie firmware, or it may be a problem with dropping battery voltages. Either way, the reset masks the symptoms but doesn't fix them.
  • namusnamus Posts: 18
    edited 2013-05-14 05:29
    Thanks a lot for the answer :-)
    This will help. I will try this several things and see whats the best for.
    Of course you're right, this doesn't fix the problem, but I'm not as familiar with the programming of the eddie or the propeller.
    I thought by now, this is a security feature if the motors overheat or something like this, when it hangs too long at a wall or a threshold.
    edited 2013-05-26 14:07
    Hi,
    thank you, it works via the parallax terminal perfectly. The goal was to realize it via a batch file with windows. That doesn't work, also after couple of hours testing:) In the parallax manual is written to do it via the dss command prompt. If I open this cmd and type: reset. The answer is: No valid parameter | RESET { SESSION }. Does anybody know what this mean? What ist the parameter I have to write after the reset-command? Or how is it possible to give the reset command via a batch file? Thanks :-)
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-05-27 09:17
    Can you post your modified Eddie.spin file?
    edited 2013-05-28 04:18
    Hi, it's in the attachement.
    edited 2013-12-03 03:58
    Hi,
    unfortunately, however, the problem still exists.
    At that time I soldered this wires on the two pins near the reset-button (see photo). I don't know if it has been the right pins? Because SLRM wrote: " You'll have to solder some wires to either side of the current reset button, and run them to your new button.". So perhaps I did it wrong? And I have to solder 4 wires on the "legs" of the reset-button to run them to the new button. But wich wires are the right ones to do this? So, then I would have 4 wires and a button with 2 connectors... Or are these four soldering joints only for the fixation of the button? Under the board everything is coated.
    I would be very grateful for an answer either the software or the hardware way :-)
    reset_button_extern.jpg
    196 x 235 - 35K