Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
elev-8 propeller replacement — Parallax Forums

elev-8 propeller replacement

TalaatTalaat Posts: 8
edited 2013-06-22 15:09 in Robotics
Hi all,

my propellers have been broken and I can't find the same size in my market,
can I use 10*4.5 propellers ? or there would be problems ?
what size will work nicely like it's original 10*4.7 ones ?
thanks
Talaat

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-05-13 18:13
    You can order replacement props from Parallax http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/AllRobots/tabid/755/List/0/ProductID/810/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

10 x 4.5 would probably be fine but if they are heavier than the slo-flyer props that the ELEV-8 uses it may (probably will) adversely affect how it flies.
  • TalaatTalaat Posts: 8
    edited 2013-05-13 18:36
    Thanks for ur help :)
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-05-13 19:25
    You can also get them at TowerHobbies. Normal and Pusher
  • StempileStempile Posts: 82
    edited 2013-06-22 14:45
    W9GFO wrote: »
    You can order replacement props from Parallax http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/AllRobots/tabid/755/List/0/ProductID/810/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

10 x 4.5 would probably be fine but if they are heavier than the slo-flyer props that the ELEV-8 uses it may (probably will) adversely affect how it flies.

Lesson learned: Only fly with the matching props. Had I just changed all the props to match, I would have saved some $$ and time rebuilding.

Couple weeks back I ordered from Parallax the props listed as 10x4.7, Parallax sent 10x4.5 instead. I called Tech support about that because the order didn't match the invoice and found that only the 10x4.5 is what they stock now. I also asked about flying unmatched props, speculation was it would be ok, however in practice I found out it didn't go well.

By not having all the same pitched props (using 4.5 and the normal 4.7 props both), and likely coupled with my limited flying skills I crashed. This lead me into the motor replacement journey that I posted about recently (thanks Rich for the tips)... My logic on not matching the props was that the already mounted the 4.7 props I had on were almost new; only had 1 broken prop to be replaced so I had 3 @4.7 and 1 @4.5. I need to do some research regarding the physics behind the pitch.

The good news is that rebuilding has allowed be to upgrade, add another LED feature and do what I enjoy most - BUILDING!!

BTW - I checked the Parallax store this afternoon, it listing the props as 10x4.7. I bought props on Thursday last week and received 10x.4.5 again as expected this time. If I remember I will call on Monday and remind sales to change the description.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-06-22 15:09
    Stempile wrote: »
    so I had 3 @4.7 and 1 @4.5. I need to do some research regarding the physics behind the pitch.

I wouldn't hesitate to try mixing pitches that are so similar but I would be sure that they were balanced - meaning equal pitches across from each other. I'd give it a try myself but all I have are 4.7s.