Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mac Setup — Parallax Forums

Mac Setup

potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
edited 2013-05-13 14:29 in Propeller 2
Ok, I've got an issue with my Windows 7 development machine.

My choices are, stick with the old Windows XP one, and at least one application Baggers built recently won't work on XP.

That's not a complaint BTW. XP is just old. And that XP machine is my original Propeller dev machine... It too is getting old, though it's not yet performing badly, just old.

Or! I have a Mac Book Pro running the version of OS X just before Lion. On that one, I have Windows XP as a virtual machine and I really don't want to buy a Windows 7 license... That's hard anyway.

So, what does it take to get C setup on the Mac, and is that OS too old? I know I can run Pnut on the VM, and probably P2load... Anyone using a Mac at all?

Comments

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-05-12 14:50
    potatohead wrote: »
    Ok, I've got an issue with my Windows 7 development machine.

My choices are, stick with the old Windows XP one, and at least one application Baggers built recently won't work on XP.

That's not a complaint BTW. XP is just old. And that XP machine is my original Propeller dev machine... It too is getting old, though it's not yet performing badly, just old.

Or! I have a Mac Book Pro running the version of OS X just before Lion. On that one, I have Windows XP as a virtual machine and I really don't want to buy a Windows 7 license... That's hard anyway.

So, what does it take to get C setup on the Mac, and is that OS too old? I know I can run Pnut on the VM, and probably P2load... Anyone using a Mac at all?
    Do you know if your Mac is running in 64 bit mode? I'm not sure we've tried PropGCC under a 32 bit Mac OS yet.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2013-05-12 15:01
    I will go and find out.
  • timx8timx8 Posts: 6
    edited 2013-05-13 11:30
    I'm not developing for the prop2 yet, but I and many people I know develop for prop1 on a mac (most of us use BST). I too am using 10.6 Snow Leopard (the version before Lion), which is a 64 bit OS.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2013-05-13 11:55
    That is the OS mine has. I didn't have it to power up last night. 64 bit it is.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-05-13 12:25
    potatohead wrote: »
    That is the OS mine has. I didn't have it to power up last night. 64 bit it is.
    You should be able to run PropGCC on your Mac. Are you comfortable pulling the code from Google Code and building it yourself or do you want me to post a Mac build? The one that is there is quite old.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2013-05-13 14:29
    potatohead - propgcc works great on my MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.8) - earlier this year I compiled the p2test branch on it without problems. I don't have a way to emulate the P2 currently but I have had no problems with P1 and propgcc on that machine.