Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What type of boards will be available? — Parallax Forums

What type of boards will be available?

dr hydradr hydra Posts: 212
edited 2013-06-04 11:40 in Propeller 2
I just was watching the video from the conference...the prop II looks awesome...

I have a quick question...Chip was showing a 32 mb board...Will that board be made available to the public when the prop II is release? The reason I am asking is because when Chip was talking..some questions were asked and Ken started talking (but the audio was poor) and Ken said something about 3rd party boards only?

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2013-05-04 22:41
    dr hydra wrote: »
    I just was watching the video from the conference...the prop II looks awesome...

I have a quick question...Chip was showing a 32 mb board...Will that board be made available to the public when the prop II is release? The reason I am asking is because when Chip was talking..some questions were asked and Ken started talking (but the audio was poor) and Ken said something about 3rd party boards only?

We'll make a little module with the Prop2, Flash, crystal, 1.8V regulator, and SDRAM. And a few boards to plug the modules into. We don't want to make many boards, though.
  • dr hydradr hydra Posts: 212
    edited 2013-05-04 22:48
    Great news...thank you! I cannot wait until the boards are ready...the prop 2 is going to be a great product...thank you (and everyone at parallax) for the hard work
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2013-05-05 00:04
    Chip. Monday. Two words: "unboxing video" :innocent:
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,901
    edited 2013-05-05 06:24
    I have mixed feelings about the Parallax plan for P2 boards...

Originally, I heard about a small module with either 2 rows of holes or two rows of solder tabs so you could solder the module directly to a PCB.
    That sounded pretty good to me.

Yesterday, we saw the plan is to use a PCI-Express-4X connector and the module would be a card that plugs into it.
    Somebody in the audience complained about this because it would stick up from your board about an inch or so.
    I was kinda groaning internally too.

But, then Ken said that they might not be doing some kind of P2 Quickstart or other board at all and let 3rd parties do that.
    This would obviously be good for me, because I can then sell P2 boards.

On the other hand, the P2 package is the same as that of the SSD1963 chip that I use in my DVI and VGA Graphics modules for P1.
    While I can handle this package, it is really at the limit of what I can do and it's a real pain for me since about 50% of produced boards need rework on this chip.
    This is because the pins are very close together and my setup is very basic.

So, I was really hoping for a module that could be directly soldered to a board, to save me a lot of trouble...
    edited 2013-05-05 07:12
    I like Chip's design...it looks good for prototyping and leaves finish product designs for 3rd party. The best of both worlds
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-05-05 07:21
    I liked the board layout Chip showed.There must be a flat mounting option also.

The PCI connector is cheap, but according to Jeff only available as a straight up plugin like on PC compatible motherboards. A dual header row header at the card edge would allow mounting the board flat against a mother-board.

Using the PCI connector immediately conjures up vision of a slotted ATX chassis for the propeller computer fans. One or more P2 boards could go into such a chassis having some ID pins. Implementing a PCI specification doubtful but not beyond experimenting.

On the other hand, having dual-row headers for horizontal mounting allows for low-profile box designs like the Mac-Mini or smaller. I could revive the MicroPropPC for example which would even have room for two P2 boards and the peripheral connectors.
  • FredBlaisFredBlais Posts: 370
    edited 2013-05-05 07:54
    jazzed wrote: »
    Implementing a PCI specification doubtful but not beyond experimenting.

http://lwn.net/images/pdf/LDD3/ch12.pdf
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2013-05-05 08:04
    I second the call for headers. Maybe two board versions? I know that carries a cost, but I also think it's a mistake not to fuel the community boards with an easy base option like that.

@Rayman, I don't think we talked yesterday. Sorry I missed you!

Got up this morning to think about that vertical arrangement... One thought was it's now the time for creative laser cut acrylic casing. Time to fire up the CAD systems and figure out a simple assembly that can secure these things. Doing that is really cheap. To me, it makes a lot of sense over bare boards, particularly those with mechanical stress potentials built in. Let's get cracking!

Another thought was, "it's kind of like a PC" but the difference being the CPU is in the "card" instead of on the main board... Well, one CPU could be on a main board, controlling others to do things, but that's not really where my mind is at. What I like is that a board with lots of I/O options can be produced with just that little connector for the CPU. We've got a lot of options now. Multiple displays, keyboard, mouse, audio, SD card, and who knows what else. Seems to me people can explore that with various boards, packaging, etc... and having the common connector might make for products instead of boards and this could be a really good thing. That's my .02 right out of the gate.

You know, I kind of want one with a lot of RCA jacks for doing analog things with the DACS. We've not really gone there yet, but audio is going to be as much fun as graphics is....
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-05-05 08:29
    Nice module Chip!

Any chance of posting the pin out of the connector?

And the schematic?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-05-05 08:29
    Wow! You guys are starting to make this sound like an S100 bus (or some derivative)! A hefty back plane with beefy power rails and some passives for noise and such and then a bunch of different cards to plug in depending on what you want to make. We can even have all the joys of I/O pin conflicts between vendors and everything else that went with that "standard"!

We can have conenctor boards that just pull buckets of I/O pins out to RCA jacks, digital I/O boards that pull pins out to 3 pin (pwr/gnd/sig) headers, all kinds of fun stuff to experiment with and build on.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-05-05 09:15
    Chip's board could easily support header pads and gold-fingers at the same time. No need for two separate boards, just an assembly option.

As I understood it: Ken mentioned that he didn't want to make P2 boards much beyond Chip's board (and likely whatever else Chip deems appropriate). Ken wants the community to make boards. IIRC a board with nothing but power, crystal, USB, and headers has been designed by Saphiea already. I know there are other boards itching for that first chip.

Ari and Andrew should be considered for builds. Talk to them about any designs you want to outsource.

Ari and Andrew gave presentations about turnkey and consignment options for making boards off-shore and in the USA. I have a small SD Card SPI Flash design with Tubular that I want to fund; I have talked with both Ari and Andrew about it and need to talk with Tubular about a final design. This is a case where Parallax is interested in a product, but they don't want to make it themselves because of overhead costs. Once I get 500 to 1000 made, Parallax and others would be interested in reselling it.
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-05-05 10:55
    I like this concept of a backplane based system. If there were a key vid mouse board made to fit in the same bus then I could add that to the bus if I needed to and remove when it no longer needed, Next, it is easy to imagine applying any number of bus compatible I/O boards as may be needed for the project at hand. So that a system could be easily tailored to meet the needs of the application
    edited 2013-05-05 16:26
    What I like about Chip's board is how it lowers the barrier to entry in making unique P2 boards.

Let's face it, almost all of us need/want the SDRAM, and with 47 I/O left, we have plenty to play with.

If Parallax will commit to keeping that connector as their main connector (for their boards/modules with SDRAM) I think a lot of us (3rd party board makers) will adopt it for a lot of our designs.
    edited 2013-05-05 17:19
    Bill

I agree...it could work well with both the consumer and 3rd party board markers
    edited 2013-05-05 17:29
    My other problem with the PCIE4X board is that it would be hard for me to integrate into a small touchscreen device.
    Ideally, I'd like to make a handheld unit with the whole thing being about an inch thick or less.
    This module would make that very difficult...

Also, I'd like to have a Propeller Platform compatible P2 board. But something stucking up 1 inch from the board
    makes it hard to plug in "shields" to it...
    edited 2013-05-05 17:45
    I've found references to 4x right angle connectors from quite a few manufacturers... but they do not seem to be easy to source.

PCI-e 4x has 64 pins. I can think of several (to me reasonable) alternatives:

32x2 2.00 mm headers

32x2 1.27 mm (0.05") headers

mini pci-e only has 52 pins
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2013-05-05 18:06
    Despite what Chip said those connectors are available in vertical, right angle and edge mount variants
    http://www.samtec.com/documents/webfiles/pdf/pcie.pdf

The nice thing about the vertical and right angle versions is they break out to 4 rows x 2.0mm pitch, which makes them easy to design mating boards for, solder etc.

I think its a good, bold decision to go with these, and Jeff or whoever made that call is to be commended

Also... while we're all focused on USB dongles (for Wifi, bluetooth etc) the mass market is also driving the price down on PCIe GSM, Wifi, GPS modules that will have a similar outline size to the P2 module.

I'd also love to see a pinout diagram for that board - hopefully the power pin positions can be preserved in case of accidental connection, at least for the +3/+5 and +12 rails, not so important for the GNDs of which there are very many
    edited 2013-05-05 18:12
    I don't see a right angle version on Digikey... Do you see it anywhere you can buy it today?
    edited 2013-05-05 18:15
    If we can get reasonable priced right angle connectors, I like the idea of the PCI-e 4x a lot.

I am big on leveraging off mass-market PC parts and add-ons :-)

The 2.00mm dual row ones would be easy to solder!

Worst case scenario: we may have to get together to do a bulk buy, or Parallax can stock the right angle connectors and sell them.
    Tubular wrote: »
    Despite what Chip said those connectors are available in vertical, right angle and edge mount variants
    http://www.samtec.com/documents/webfiles/pdf/pcie.pdf

The nice thing about the vertical and right angle versions is they break out to 4 rows x 2.0mm pitch, which makes them easy to design mating boards for, solder etc.

I think its a good, bold decision to go with these, and Jeff or whoever made that call is to be commended

Also... while we're all focused on USB dongles (for Wifi, bluetooth etc) the mass market is also driving the price down on PCIe GSM, Wifi, GPS modules that will have a similar outline size to the P2 module.

I'd also love to see a pinout diagram for that board - hopefully the power pin positions can be preserved in case of accidental connection, at least for the +3/+5 and +12 rails, not so important for the GNDs of which there are very many
    edited 2013-05-05 18:16
    Arrow has some, but they are expensive ~$5.70 each
    Rayman wrote: »
    I don't see a right angle version on Digikey... Do you see it anywhere you can buy it today?
    edited 2013-05-05 18:45
    Rayman wrote: »

Ray, Newark have a good amount of stock of the 3 variants.

Pricing is all over the place but as Chip mentioned they come right down from the right sources. As for other options
    http://www.findchips.com/avail?part=pcie-064-02-f-d

Finally Samtec have a good samples program with fast shipping. I've ordered a couple of samples in each style.
    edited 2013-05-05 18:52
    Funny, I can't find them in Newark... Maybe Australian version has different stuff...
    edited 2013-05-05 19:00
    Sorry Ray you're right the stock is actually in the UK. I was just going from the findchips page but when you drill down on the newark website it makes it clear its a direct ship from the UK. Sigh.

Anyway I'll follow up and see what can be organized with respect to a group buy of those.
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2013-05-05 19:45
    I see everyone is on top of the right angle connector issue! I'd also like to see a mounting screw hole in the module. I don't mind if it's a tiny hole for a M1.0 or smaller screw. I don't want any chance for vibration and shock to eject the board.

Lawson

P.S. I also wouldn't mind a module that used a right angle PCI-E 8x or 16x connector without the SDRAM that brought all the IO pins out. This would be good for all the people that have a use for 96 analog IO pins but don't want to try surface mount assembly yet. (and don't forget the mounting holes!)
    edited 2013-05-05 19:53
    Good point!

Seconded.
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2013-05-05 20:05
    Does this mean no one else will be making boards of their own? I would think that by only Parallax only selling one or two different boards that it would open the market for third party boards. I expect that Parallax will be marketing a BOE type of board with a breadboard, etc in short order.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-05-05 20:26
    What is the actual connector being used/proposed - a link anyone?

The Samtech link (by tubular) shows connectors that take gold finger pcb edge connectors spaced 1mm. So not male and female connector pairs??? Am I missing something?

Presuming I have it correct, so why then doesnt the Parallax pcb just use gold fingers?? Then we just make a pcb with the socket(s) to match.

I must say I would prefer that there be provision for pin headers. Even 2mm would be fine - we can organise a group buy for them if it going to be a standard.
    edited 2013-05-05 21:00
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    What is the actual connector being used/proposed - a link anyone?
    Presuming I have it correct, so why then doesnt the Parallax pcb just use gold fingers?? Then we just make a pcb with the socket(s) to match.

My understanding is that Parallax module does use just the gold fingers, which is great because it will keep the cost down where it matters.

Depending on the thickness of that pcb it may also be possible to use other styles of connectors that have a 1mm pitch, or if they dual footprinted behind the gold fingers perhaps even a 0.5mm pitch fpc connector, that would enable flat solutions like Rayman was seeking at the expense of a few mm of pcb length
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-05-05 21:08
    Thanks tubular. That now makes sense. The gold fingers are easy these days.

Has anyone found the "cheap" ~27c connectors Chip/etc referred to ? everything I find is >$1 in 1K qties.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    edited 2013-05-05 21:24
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Thanks tubular. That now makes sense. The gold fingers are easy these days.

Has anyone found the "cheap" ~27c connectors Chip/etc referred to ? everything I find is >$1 in 1K qties.

It seems like the cheaper ones are all vertical:
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/10018783-10201TLF/609-1978-ND/1002293

Andy