Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spinneret ram usage — Parallax Forums

Spinneret ram usage

lfreezelfreeze Posts: 174
edited 2013-05-05 18:32 in Accessories
Help please!

Is it possible to connect a propeller protoboard to the spinneret using the available gpio pins and,
write to the sd card on the spinneret via the protoboard ?

As an alternative to this, can Spinneret be modified (program) to read an external card
On a protoboard?

The reason I need to do this is: I have basically ran out of space on the spinneret.
I added two ds18b20 temperature sensors and the related spin programs to the
Spinneret, The ram usage panel (F8) shows that I now have only 92 longs free. I need to
Add other sensors but the space limitation is going to stop me. I looked at each object
In my program, the largest user of space is “s35390a_sd-mmc_fatengine”, I could reclaim some
space by eliminating many of the unused pieces of that object. This seems like a bad
idea, as it could create unforeseen problems as my project proceeds.

Suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks…..
Larry

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2013-05-03 08:50
    You could move to the newer Spinneret driver and libraries.
    http://code.google.com/p/propeller-w5200-driver/source/browse/trunk/#trunk%2F%20propeller-w5200-driver%2FSpinneret

BTW, the W5200 libraries are compatible with the Spinneret. The only difference is the SPI driver.
    http://code.google.com/p/propeller-w5200-driver/source/browse/trunk/#trunk%2F%20propeller-w5200-driver%253Fstate%253Dclosed
  • RforbesRforbes Posts: 281
    edited 2013-05-03 13:41
    Hi Larry,

If you haven't already, go to the OBEX ... http://obex.parallax.com/object/16 and download the latest version of the SD card driver by Kwabena W. Agyeman. You might currently be using version 1.9... the one I've linked to is version 2.0 and there are several configurations of the driver. You can use the one WITHOUT RTC support. That eliminates one copy of the RTC object from your application, saving around 340 longs.
  • lfreezelfreeze Posts: 174
    edited 2013-05-03 15:37
    Thanks Robert, I will give it a try. every little bit helps.
    Larry
    edited 2013-05-04 04:09
    MIke,

I am looking for the w5200-driver. I cannot find it in the links you provided. I looked for it in the obex, and
    no luck there either. Please point me in the right direction.
    Thanks....
    Larry
    edited 2013-05-04 05:04
    I found the w5200, I downloaded it but, noticed immediately that it has no support for
    The SD card. I think I will stay with the w5100, and try and skinny down the
    “S35390A_SD-MMC_FATEngine “ and the “S35390A_RTCEngine”, objects. I should
    be able to get enough space for my Project by doing this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Larry
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2013-05-04 05:57
    I found the w5200, I downloaded it but, noticed immediately that it has no support for
    The SD card. I think I will stay with the w5100, and try and skinny down the
    “S35390A_SD-MMC_FATEngine “ and the “S35390A_RTCEngine”, objects. I should
    be able to get enough space for my Project by doing this.
    That's not true Larry... The WebServer_W5100.spin file has more features and is smaller than HttpServer.spin.

The driver for the Spinneret is named W5100.spin. W5200.spin is the driver for the new W5200 for the Quick Start board.

Stick with what makes ya feel comfortable.
    edited 2013-05-05 18:32
    Mike,

Yes, you are correct. I read your previous post incorrectly. I was looking in the
    5200 library. I will stay with the HttpServer driver. I was able to reduce the
    FatEngine driver enough to make space for my applications. I will continue
    reducing usage by modifying the S35390A_RTCEngine. I would have
    Preferred a different solution as modifying these drivers will probably cause
    Unanticipated consequences in the future.

I plan on looking at the possibility of coupling an additional propeller and sd card
    To the spinneret. This is probably an example of fools rushing in where angels fear
    To tread, but what the heck as long as there is no smoke, it’s all fun. What are your
    Thoughts about this possibility?

Larry