Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Humanoid Robots — Parallax Forums

Humanoid Robots

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2013-05-01 21:11 in Robotics
I thought I had found a smoking deal on an Ebay Chinese 17-servo humanoid robot for $130 (their counteroffer to my $100 offer): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220995508020

But upon re-reading their description, no servos are included. I thought they were, since all photos show an assembled robot. It appears that all they are selling is the aluminum parts and some screws. My mistake, now I'm surprised but happy they declined my $100 offer.

If & when an affordable servo-based humanoid robot is found, I would think it would make a great Propeller demonstrator, or even a kit for Parallax to sell. Duane Degn is always saying he can control a million servos on just one cog. Seventeen should be child's play!

Has anyone made a Propeller-controlled humanoid yet?

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-05-01 10:38
    erco wrote: »
    I thought I had found a smoking deal on an Ebay Chinese 17-servo humanoid robot for $130 (their counteroffer to my $100 offer): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220995508020

But upon re-reading their description, no servos are included. I thought they were, since all photos show an assembled robot. It appears that all they are selling is the aluminum parts and some screws. My mistake, now I'm surprised but happy they declined my $100 offer.

If & when an affordable servo-based humanoid robot is found, I would think it would make a great Propeller demonstrator, or even a kit for Parallax to sell. Duane Degn is always saying he can control a million servos on just one cog. Seventeen should be child's play!

!!!!! highly cost-effective.LOL

Give us a Penguin with a Propeller
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-05-01 11:59
    For a hundred bucks you can get the Bioloid's humanoid frame pieces.
    Duane Degn is always saying he can control a million servos on just one cog. Seventeen should be child's play!

I have the above mentioned frame set and if I take all the Dynamixel servos out of my robot arm and other devices using my AX-12+ servos, I'd have enough to build a humanoid. I'm very sure a Propeller could handle controlling a humanoid, I don't know if I'd call it "child's play" though.

This is on my sometime in the future todo list.

Right now I'm working on a mood LEDs. My niece has to finish out her pregnancy in bed in the hospital (she's due in 5 weeks). She's a big fan of LEDs so I'm trying to rig up a way to easily change the patterns and brightness of my strand of 160 LEDs from China. My plan is to string up the LEDs in her hospital room to hopefully make the time pass easier.

Once I have the LEDs working, I'll think about a humanoid robot (and then decide to wait on building one).
  • MacTuxLinMacTuxLin Posts: 821
    edited 2013-05-01 20:20

I used robobuilder's servo for my controller, designed around the prop1. (http://vimeo.com/42555764)

Showed it last year at Parallax Expo 2012. Hmm...maybe I should sell it as a kit too. $130 for the controller, any takers? :smile:
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-05-01 20:52
    MacTuxLin wrote: »
    I used robobuilder's servo for my controller, designed around the prop1. (http://vimeo.com/42555764)

Showed it last year at Parallax Expo 2012. Hmm...maybe I should sell it as a kit too. $130 for the controller, any takers? :smile:

I can't believe I didn't think of your robot. Yes, a very nicely done humanoid using a Propeller.

Thank you. Now I don't have to feel rushed about making a Propeller controlled humanoid robot. Instead I can worry about making a robotic centipede.:smile:
  • MacTuxLinMacTuxLin Posts: 821
    edited 2013-05-01 21:11
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I can't believe I didn't think of your robot. Yes, a very nicely done humanoid using a Propeller.

Thank you. Now I don't have to feel rushed about making a Propeller controlled humanoid robot. Instead I can worry about making a robotic centipede.:smile:

:tongue: Thank you. You can also design a life-sized humanoid robot too or the hand with 5 movable fingers... They are very challenging but I believe the prop can handle these tasks...