Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ecclesiastic symbols and robotics — Parallax Forums

Ecclesiastic symbols and robotics

NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
edited 2013-04-30 17:01 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello everybody,

This is the first official project I organized since the Greek ministry of education introduced “projects“as a main lesson on lyceum curriculum.
Projects should have a “multidirectional” character involving two teachers from different subjects.
So this project combines both: robotics and religious lesson!
We tried to motivate our students with the motto:” A man without tradition is a tree without roots. But only tradition is not enough if you want to survive in the modern world!”
You can see the Project in Greek, on my school’s web site.

attachment.php?attachmentid=101088&d=1366667248
attachment.php?attachmentid=101079&d=1366663362

The goal of the project was to program the S2 robot in order to scribble Ecclesiastic symbols like the Cross, a simple church or the contour of Sancta Sophia ( in Turkish:” Ayasofya”) .
A second goal was to create the Byzantine alphabet , which is connected closely with orthodox religious.

Another very interesting approach of our project was the use of the Prop Boe in order to play Orthodox ecclesiastic Hymns

Here is the table with the Byzantine fonts and the corresponding English name.

attachment.php?attachmentid=101080&d=1366663364

At the end of this post you can find the spin code for the byzantine alphabet as well as the spin code for some crosses, a church and the “ S.Sophia”.

Here is a video from our tests.
S2 robot writes: “ ΑΓΙΑ ΓΡΑΦΗ” = “holy bible” (1rst line) and “ΨΑΛΜΟΣ”= “Psalm” (2nd line).
Simultaneously Brop Boe chants.."Hail,oh,you Bride unwed",Hehre Nymfi animfefte!. a beautiful Hymn to the Virgin Mother.

Background projects:

1) “Alphabet for S2”: a collaborative project.

2) Trying Ken’s “Juke-Bots Propeller Robots” Project

Nikos Giannakopoulos

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-04-24 10:23
    Beautiful work, Nicos! Way to tie the old in with the new. With those amazing symbols, you're getting very close to robotic calligraphy and/or ambigrams, either of which would be a real dazzler at Expo! :)

http://www.ambigram.com/matic
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-04-24 15:44
    I like the drawing: it looks like you could then scale it to any size paper and have a fully robotic drawing machine.
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2013-04-25 14:29
    Thank you guys!

The other day (04/23/2013), me and my colleague Panagiotis (the religious teacher), we made the presentation of our project on the Technological Educational Institute of Messologgi
    The spectators, teachers and students had the opportunity to admire the S2 writing Byzantine fonts and they enjoyed the Prop Boe as it was roaming and simultaneously it was singing ecclesiastic hymns! They haven’t seen something like this before and they became totally exciting! Our Parallax robots “stole the show”
    @ Erco,
    Ambigrams are very cool!! Thank you for this Idea! You have really the talent to put nice challenges!! Actually I’m very close to make some of them with S2 , as the method with Excel file is very convenient with symmetric shapes. But I think that we need a more sophisticate algorithm in order to create the ambigrams.
    @ SRLM
    Yes you can scale the drawings! I have put a variable _size in to the spin code that you can play with the size but I think that is preferable to change the size from the Excel file changing the value on the appropriate cell. However I think that I have made some mistakes and my code needs a review.

Here is the Excel file with the Byzantine Fonts and the spin file for the church.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-04-26 20:47
    That is beautiful.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-04-27 07:25
    Very inspirational NikosG, The Scribbler2 is a lot of fun. :thumb:
    Now might be a good time to start working on a prayer for fresh batteries..:)

-Tommy
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-04-27 08:13
    NikosG,

This is very impressive from both the technical side with what you are accomplishing with the Scribbler2 but also from the educational side to be able to spark interest in two diverse areas by combining them together into one educational opportunity! Excellent work, my friend! This is beautiful and inspirational!!
  • electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
    edited 2013-04-30 17:01
    Really Cool! Great Job!