Comments

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2013-05-13 11:05
    Mac OSX 10.7.5
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-05-13 11:13
    Baggers wrote: »
    Mac OSX 10.7.5
    Really? I guess you pulled the code yourself from Google Code and built it using the Xcode tools? Are you on a 32 bit version of Mac OS X?
    edited 2013-05-13 11:26
    I grabbed the mac build, from google code, thinking it would be easier.

Is it best to grab the code and do a build?

I'm on a 64bit version of OS X
    edited 2013-05-13 12:14
    I grabbed the mac build, from google code, thinking it would be easier.

Is it best to grab the code and do a build?

I'm on a 64bit version of OS X
    The Mac build on Google Code is very old. It would be better to build from the top of the p2test tree. Is that something you're comfortable with or should I create a build for you?
    edited 2013-05-13 13:15
    I would be great if you would create a build for me, cheers :D
    edited 2013-05-13 13:18
    I would be great if you would create a build for me, cheers :D
    Sure. I'll try to upload a recent Mac build later tonight. I have a dress rehearsal to attend first though! :-)
    edited 2013-05-13 13:37
    That would be awesome, so thanks, and no worries :D
    edited 2013-05-13 19:30
    That would be awesome, so thanks, and no worries :D
    I'm sorry Baggers. I can't do it tonight. Maybe in the morning. I'm exhausted after a long rehearsal with lots of setup/teardown as well.
    edited 2013-05-14 00:25
    No worries David, whenever you're ready, no rush.
    edited 2013-05-14 04:10
    I just uploaded my latest Mac build of the p2test branch to Google Code. Sorry for the delay.

http://code.google.com/p/propgcc/downloads/detail?name=prop2gcc-2013-04-14-mac.zip&can=2&q=
    edited 2013-05-14 04:45
    Downloading, and much thanks :)
    edited 2013-05-14 05:45
    Still getting Segmentation fault: 11 :( any ideas?
    edited 2013-05-14 06:44
    I'm afraid I don't. Certainly propeller-elf-gcc should never seg fault.
    edited 2013-05-14 07:45
    This is kind of a desparate attempt to figure out what is going wrong but could you try running the gcc command outside of the Makefile so we're sure it's really gcc that is crashing?
    propeller-elf-gcc -mlmm -mp2 -Os -c -o sdramtest.o sdramtest.c

Also, can you type "which propeller-elf-gcc" to make sure you're really running the one you think you're running?

Thanks,
    David
    edited 2013-05-14 08:39
    Still a Segmentation fault: 11
    even on doing propeller-elf-gcc on it's own

it's the one in /opt/parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc

Hope this helps.
    edited 2013-05-14 08:49
    Still a Segmentation fault: 11
    even on doing propeller-elf-gcc on it's own

it's the one in /opt/parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for doing those tests. I'm afraid I'm at a loss to explain why you get a seg fault on your machine but I don't using exactly the same code. I guess you're running Lion and I'm running Mountain Lion but that isn't supposed to make a difference, they're both 64 bit operating systems.
    edited 2013-05-14 09:01
    I guess it may be like how when I recently compiled p2prep, on my new laptop, it no longer worked on XP, because it is a Windows 8 one.
    edited 2013-05-14 09:06
    Looks like I need a new HUB then.

How I came to that conclusion you may wonder...

I unfortunately am on BT Business Broadband for my ISP, and they provide a hub, which for some reason blocks any large file ( even though it's supposed to be unlimited broadband ) the hub won't download a large file, ie Mountain Lion, which I have tried on multiple occasions to download, and with lots of calls to Apple, we ended up with the conclusion, that it's the hub.
    So I'll go get a new hub at the weekend and download Mountain Lion, as I really need to upgrade anyway. :)

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes when I finally upgrade.

Cheers,
    Jim.
    edited 2013-05-14 09:08
    Looks like I need a new HUB then.

How I came to that conclusion you may wonder...

I unfortunately am on BT Business Broadband for my ISP, and they provide a hub, which for some reason blocks any large file ( even though it's supposed to be unlimited broadband ) the hub won't download a large file, ie Mountain Lion, which I have tried on multiple occasions to download, and with lots of calls to Apple, we ended up with the conclusion, that it's the hub.
    So I'll go get a new hub at the weekend and download Mountain Lion, as I really need to upgrade anyway. :)

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes when I finally upgrade.

Cheers,
    Jim.
    I hope that helps but I'm pretty sure there are other Lion users who have used PropGCC successfully. I really don't see why Lion vs. Mountain Lion would make a difference. Unfortunately, I don't have a machine that is running Lion for testing. Maybe there is one at Parallax. I'll check with them.
    edited 2013-05-14 09:42
    Jim,

Could you type "propeller-elf-gcc --version" and post the output? Steve (jazzed) tells me that he runs PropGCC under Lion with no problems.

Thanks,
    David
    edited 2013-05-14 10:37
    Even that is getting the same fault :(
    edited 2013-05-14 10:52
    Even that is getting the same fault :(
    Okay, that may be good news. The problem may be that the propeller-elf-gcc image itself is corrupted. How did you unzip it to install it in /opt/parallax? Is it possible that that did some sort of binary to ASCII conversion that corrupted the binary executables?
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-05-14 11:52
    @Baggers.

Hi Jim. As a test, could you try installing the SimpleIDE Mac version and running that for P1?
    You'll need to move /opt/parallax bin to /opt/parallax-p2 or something first. You don't have to use the IDE.

Download the SimpleIDE package from here. The package was made on my Mac Lion box.
    edited 2013-05-14 11:54
    jazzed wrote: »
    @Baggers.

Hi Jim. As a test, could you try installing the SimpleIDE Mac version and running that for P1?
    You'll need to move /opt/parallax bin to /opt/parallax-p2 or something first. You don't have to use the IDE.

Download the SimpleIDE package from here. The package was made on my Lion OS.
    I'm wondering if it would be better to use a compressed tar file instead of zip. I only used zip because that is how the previous Mac version was posted. I don't think that tar has the same problems with unwanted file translations if that is the problem Jim is having here.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2013-05-14 13:24
    If a zip file were used, there could be improper permissions... If the permission checks are not handled, that could cause a fault. Maybe try a quick chmod 777 -R?
    edited 2013-05-14 13:42
    potatohead wrote: »
    If a zip file were used, there could be improper permissions... If the permission checks are not handled, that could cause a fault. Maybe try a quick chmod 777 -R?
    That might be it. I just tried using the zip file that I uploaded by doing the following:
    cd /opt/parallax
    unzip prop2gcc-2013-04-14-mac.zip

That resulted in a working install. However, there still could be permissions problems since I made the zip file on my machine so the permissions probably match what is needed in my environment.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2013-05-14 15:17
    Maybe I can test mine tonight. It is snow leopard.

Best practice is tar.gz or tar then zip as tar preserves permissions. And I think it is chmod -R 777 pathtopropgcc
    edited 2013-05-14 15:21
    jazzed that works and I can build the vga demo etc.

I need a project file for the sdram example though.

I'm off to bed now, will look more into it tomorrow.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-05-15 14:30
    jazzed that works and I can build the vga demo etc.

Great. We'll get a P2 package going for you soon. I have commitments to my 4 year old grandson tonight though.
    edited 2013-05-15 15:00
    Cheers, no worries, enjoy :D