Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MadeUSA / Eddie Enhancements — Parallax Forums

MadeUSA / Eddie Enhancements

Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
edited 2013-04-21 05:56 in Robotics
Hey all-
We're currently looking at expanding /enhancing / improving our MadeUSA robot parts selection. And as you know, Eddie is comprised of many of the baseline products that constitute the MadeUSA product offerings

I'm not gonna tell you what we're currently thinking of, or working on yet, because I want to hear from you'all without "leading the jury".

So, tell us -
What do you like/dislike about the individual components that comprise our robot?

What new add-on's would you like to see?

What enhancements would you like to see implemented?

The good, the bad, and the ugly...fire away!

-MattG

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-04-17 18:07
    Plywood! :)

First responder...
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-04-17 19:05
    1. We are dismayed at the current pace of Eddie firmware development.
    For example,
    a. We thought Eddie-Ignore-Encoder-Errors.spin was supposed to be a temporary solution until replacement by a better firmware but no replacement firmware came for more than 1 year.
    b. The STOP while Turning Bug ( causes Eddie to jerk violently ) was not addressed for a long time.

2. The 2 large holes allowing space for the motors resulted in some weak areas on the lower deck of Eddie. This means that having more decks with some weights could cause the lower deck to bend.
  • Mike4421Mike4421 Posts: 131
    edited 2013-04-17 21:13
    Communications; serial, IC2, USB, etc.... Has been a Big misunderstanding: how it works, why, where, when... It's a topic that is not really covered with enough examples for beginners to understand. I've seen this not only here, but in other forums... There's currently 3 great microcontrollers here that can serve this cause.

keep up the good work.

edit....
    each field; serial, USB, CAN, LAN, I2C, etc.... Can be a specialty in debt, but there isn't an easy book with examples explaining the general basics; some ppl are used to their plug and play OS's that when it comes to the nitty greety, they loose hope....
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-04-17 21:14
    My suggestion would be to port the firmware to GCC. I've been asked to do this, but I had to turn it down due to time constraints.

I'll supply a why here: because those who program the EDDIE are likely to be more familiar with C/C++ than Spin. Eddie provides a natural transition to the Propeller if the learning cost is minimized. Plus, it provides a great example of non-trivial, working PropGCC code.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-04-18 11:28
    The main problem I have with the MadeUSA... I don't own one, Other than that, I can't complain...

-Tommy
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2013-04-18 13:38
    For purposes of this thread, I'm looking for input on the mfring / hardware components that make up the platform as it is now, versus what it can be.
    -MattG
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2013-04-21 05:56
    Matt,

I love the TSL1401, but wish that it was a thermal line scanner. Easy Peasy.

Could happen... GPS, compass, accelerometer, gyro

Probably not:

More power... 30V controller. Wider configuration. Beefier frame. Way to hook-em together to form 4 wheel platform.

Rich