Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Editing XBee Series 1 module's firmware — Parallax Forums

Editing XBee Series 1 module's firmware

mashorifmashorif Posts: 6
edited 2013-04-17 13:11 in Accessories
I want to implement a different encryption in the communication between two XBee 802.15.4 Series 1 modules. I have used XCTU and saw the encryption is AES 128 but I want to use something else.

1. Will I be able to edit/reprogram the coding used for XBee 802.15.4 Series 1 to change encryption?
2. If yes please let me know the procedure.
3. If No, please let me know with which module I will be able to accomplish this job.

Please let me know these queries as I can not find the answer anywhere else.

Thank you.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-04-16 06:43
    If you read the documentation carefully, you'll see that you can enable and disable AES 128 encryption with a command (EE). If you disable it, you could provide your data already encrypted using whatever algorithm you want and decrypt the data from the module yourself.
  • mashorifmashorif Posts: 6
    edited 2013-04-16 23:04
    Mike Green wrote: »
    If you read the documentation carefully, you'll see that you can enable and disable AES 128 encryption with a command (EE). If you disable it, you could provide your data already encrypted using whatever algorithm you want and decrypt the data from the module yourself.

Thank you Mike. I saw this but could not understand that I can also put any code in there. May I please know what kind of code I can put there [e.g. C/nesC or something else]. If you happen to know some resources about this work could you please share it with me? Thank you again for your reply.
    edited 2013-04-17 06:53
    There is no way you can put code there. The xBee is not user programmable. The manufacturer considers the code to be strictly proprietary.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2013-04-17 09:32
    Digi does have a new programmable version (e.g. XBP9B-DMUTB002) which tacks a Freescale S08 microcontroller onto the XBee digiMesh module. You would have to learn to program that microprocessor to implement your custom encryption. Support for it so far is pretty thin it seems. It is not clear to me if the radio part can be flashed from digiMesh back to straight 802.15.4. The Propeller route would be quicker to implement and ultimately more flexible, but an extra PCB.
    edited 2013-04-17 09:59
    Just to be clear ... the new programmable module does not allow you to program the xBee module's processor. It simply adds a host microcontroller on the module itself which you can program. It's convenient, but adds nothing else in terms of capability over a separate external microcontroller like a Stamp or Propeller.
  • mashorifmashorif Posts: 6
    edited 2013-04-17 13:11
    Mike Green wrote: »
    Just to be clear ... the new programmable module does not allow you to program the xBee module's processor. It simply adds a host microcontroller on the module itself which you can program. It's convenient, but adds nothing else in terms of capability over a separate external microcontroller like a Stamp or Propeller.

I now understand and Mike your answer is what I was looking for. I wanted to program the radio module - which eventually is not possible. And if I understood you properly in your last comment you said that it's almost same to program the radio (suppose Xbee) with a microcontroller connected (as like Arduino UNO) with the newer programmable version. I got it. I really am thankful for taking the time to answer my poorly-answered-everywhere query. If I want to put any encryption I have to do that in MCU (in my case the Arduino UNO). Thank you.

Thank you Tracy for your comment too. This is another good piece of advice which may help me in selecting future Xbee radios.