Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with Debug — Parallax Forums

Help with Debug

wolffwolff Posts: 41
edited 2013-04-20 07:14 in BASIC Stamp
When I load code with a debug command the debug window opens and operates properly. When I launch the debug window from the BS editor It does not work. A bunch of aaaaa comes across the debug window... but it's unintelligible.
Baud rate, flow control and all that is the same.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,646
    edited 2013-04-09 14:56
    Are you absolutely sure the baud rate and such are right? What stamp are you using? Some Stamps other than the BS2 have bauds other than the default 9600. The BS2px (the only not-BS2 stamp I have)'s default is 19200.

Did you try resetting the stamp and then seeing if it worked? Also, try
    '$I forget
    '$I forget, but PBASIC 2.5
    DO
      SEROUT 16, <baud number>, "Hello World"
      SLEEP 1000
    LOOP

and setting your debug window settings to correspond to what your SEROUT baud number says. You'll have to open the debug window manually for this. FYI SEROUT 16 means send to the computer.

Hope that helps,
    electrodude
  • wolffwolff Posts: 41
    edited 2013-04-09 19:33
    Are you absolutely sure the baud rate and such are right? What stamp are you using? Some Stamps other than the BS2 have bauds other than the default 9600. The BS2px (the only not-BS2 stamp I have)'s default is 19200.

Did you try resetting the stamp and then seeing if it worked? Also, try
    '$I forget
    '$I forget, but PBASIC 2.5
    DO
      SEROUT 16, <baud number>, "Hello World"
      SLEEP 1000
    LOOP

and setting your debug window settings to correspond to what your SEROUT baud number says. You'll have to open the debug window manually for this. FYI SEROUT 16 means send to the computer.

Hope that helps,
    electrodude

I'm using a BS1.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2013-04-09 20:49
    Well, the BS1 code is a little different than the BS2. ... more limited. You will have to be careful not to mix code.

Take a look at the BasicStamp Manual. And notice that the BS1 has an icon along side code that applies only to it. In addition, there is a listing of which commands the BS1 uses.

There are also a bunch of Nuts and Volts articles with focus on particular aspects. Use Google to locate them.

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/cols/nv/vol7/col/NV131.pdf
  • wolffwolff Posts: 41
    edited 2013-04-10 09:18
    Well, the BS1 code is a little different than the BS2. ... more limited. You will have to be careful not to mix code.

Take a look at the BasicStamp Manual. And notice that the BS1 has an icon along side code that applies only to it. In addition, there is a listing of which commands the BS1 uses.

There are also a bunch of Nuts and Volts articles with focus on particular aspects. Use Google to locate them.

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/cols/nv/vol7/col/NV131.pdf

Thanks.... It's been a while since I've messed with a BS1. I realize now that the debug properties (for BS1) are a special case.
    I guess there is really no way to open a debug window after the program has been loaded and is already running.(BS1)
    Thanks!
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2013-04-20 07:14
    wolff - was this resolved?

If so, what was the problem?