Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 / Electronics Help — Parallax Forums

BS2 / Electronics Help

wyrmhavenwyrmhaven Posts: 6
edited 2013-04-14 05:40 in BASIC Stamp
Good day! I am a PC programmer / IT guy that has zero experience with actual hardware development. I rode in on the wave where they stopped actually teaching basic electronics so all you learned was software and plug'n'play components. So I have started out with the 'What's a microcontroller' kit and am on chapter 4 so far and feel a bit lost. I look at the wire diagrams and then at the actual board pictures and cannot for the life of me discern how they go from the diagram to the physical wiring. sure I can follow the pictures and it sort of make sense 'after the fact' but I cannot look at the diagram first and create what is needed w/o the actual physical representation picture. also do not know how they discern which resistor is needed where / when. Am I asking too early on? or is there a starter resource I should refer to first?

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-04-08 13:37
    First, Welcome to the forums! I got started back in 2005 with the BS2 Basic Stamp. I have worked with it and other Basic stamps quite a bit since then and have recently taken the "plunge" in to the Propeller. Parallax has some great products. When I first started I had no idea what I was doing or where to start. So, I bought a couple books. Electronics for Dummies and Circuit Building for Dummes. One of the forum members, Gordon McComb published this one: http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-For-Dummies-Gordon-McComb/dp/0764576607 . Both of these books helped me dramatically in my quest to design and decipher electronics. With the books and the help from the great people in these forums and the support provided by Parallax you should be able to accomplish most anything!!!! I am sure others will chime in with what helped them out so you can pick for yourself.
  • AndroidAndroid Posts: 82
    edited 2013-04-08 17:09
    Welcome to the forums! I will also recomend electronics for dummies nut there is also a book called Robot Builders Bonanza by Gordon McComb it is extremely helpful!
  • wyrmhavenwyrmhaven Posts: 6
    edited 2013-04-14 05:40
    Thank you for your help.