Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Jitter in VGA output from DE0-nano? — Parallax Forums

Jitter in VGA output from DE0-nano?

pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
edited 2013-03-30 16:41 in Propeller 2
I ran Bill's VGA demo on the newly received DE0-nano (Thanks Chip!) and noticed some significant noise/jitter in the generated output. I'm hoping these are just artifacts of imprecise timing and my particular LCD monitor (Dell 2007FP).

Has anyone else observed such jitter?

p2_de0_jitter.jpg
735 x 337 - 77K

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2013-03-29 22:54
    I just ran it on an CRT monitor and copied the monitor ROM to the display screen on the DE2. There is a little bit of jitter. Not what you are seeing though that might just be the LCD clock circuit magnifying what is there. Here's a photo:
    crt-vga-jitter.jpg

On a side note, I don't think I've compared the two technologies like that up close. Kind of cool to see. :)
    1024 x 388 - 111K
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-03-30 06:13
    I noticed it as well, and it is also visible on the "color bars" demos.

At this point, my best guess is that it is due to the errors in the pixel dot clock due to the phase accumulation errors. If that is the case, the higher clock speed of the real silicon should help (assuming the PLL for video will run faster as well)
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2013-03-30 13:30
    What does a scope say ?
    Also remember that often a FPGA 'PLL' is often not analog, but a tapped delay line implementation, but the taps are sub-ns
    Does the jitter change personality if you warm or cool the FPGA ?
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2013-03-30 16:41
    Mine is currently being stored or I would tell you. Curious about that myself. (House project + dust = stow the scope and other goodies for a time)

I did run some really high resolution pixels on a monochrome NTSC "amber screen" display. (720 pixels in safe area) They appeared more stable than the VGA ones are. Of course, those are different and lower frequencies....

Personally, I'm wondering if there isn't more variance in the NANO.