Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
3.5mm bullet connectors — Parallax Forums

3.5mm bullet connectors

Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
edited 2013-03-29 06:39 in General Discussion
I have been looking for a "real" supplier that carries the "standard" 3.5mm female bullet connectors. Perhaps I don't know how to look, and mouser or digikey carry them. I need to have some special purpose esc's assembled, and can't seem to find anything.

Like these -
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10255
http://www.focalprice.com/YO262Y/10PCS_35MM_GoldPlated_Bullet_Banana_Plug_Motor_ESC_Connector_Gold.html?utm_source=CS&utm_medium=GM_US&utm_campaign=CS_GM_US_YO262Y&gclid=CMjs4vjMnbYCFcw7Mgod2F0AOQ#.UVNEdaVwp34

Comments

• Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2013-03-27 13:25
    Just a note.

Many pilots of drones using this 3.5 connectors think that with motor vibrations they may produce bad contacts and crashes.
    Also they solder directly the ESC to motors : it seems that this inproved flight security ?
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2013-03-27 15:51
    I would recommend looking into TE Connectivity's Shur-Plug 0.156" Diameter Terminals and Receptacle Contacts.
    http://www.te.com/catalog/products/en?q=shur-plug
    They require crimp tools, but they can be done with universal tools or soldering
    1024 x 453 - 55K
  • Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
    edited 2013-03-27 15:54
    I can't really use wire connectors, see photo. Any time you can skip a wire to board connector its a plus, in my opinion.
    1024 x 768 - 63K
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2013-03-27 16:01
    Gotcha, that is a little tougher to find, but I have a few more tricks up my sleeve to check.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2013-03-27 21:28
    R/C hobby suppliers seem to have cornered the market in 3.5mm bullet connectors. My local electronics shop in Kaohsiung finally began stocking some, but these are sold only in small quantities and a bit expensive.

I guess there is some small shop in Mainland China where a guy sits at a machine lathe and turns these out one by one. There are alternative means of connection for high power, but the bullet connector is prefered for R/C airplanes as it is of minimal weight.

Do you really have to comply with 3.5mm female bullet connectors, or would you consider alternatives? Automotive connectors are easily available for equally high amperage.
    edited 2013-03-28 04:36
    I don't care, they just have to be able to seat the rc motor connectors, which means probably 3.2mm to 3.7mm, and they have to be directly solderable someway, not wired. I have even considered making a plated hole 3.5mm, but I have a gut feeling that it would be a long term problem. Max total average amps feeding the motors is 2.0 amps, so I suppose max amps at motor leads could be 8-10 amps at peak pwm.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-03-28 07:58
    Whatever source you use, don't mix and match brands. This is a certain recipe for disaster - use only one supplier M with the same supplier's F side. Otherwise you will see that the fit is too tight, too loose and may vibrate apart.
    edited 2013-03-29 01:07
    I know that Ken is sharing experience that Parallax had with sourcing parts for their quad copter.... the Elev8.

So this is more than a mere parts sourcing problem.

I do realize that you goal may to be to support all sorts of motors with whatever the 3.5mm male connector is as provide. It seems that if you do find a product, you are going to have to both install the female connectors and provide the male connectors for a good customer relations solution.
    edited 2013-03-29 05:16
    Actually, my goal is simpler than that. My goal is... To not have to solder these on myself x 50 boards.
    edited 2013-03-29 06:39
    Hmmm.... okay... I was thinking of suggesting that. but you beat me to it. Still, it seems that male and female have to be provided. I really don't know where to buy the board mounted female ones.

I suppose that regular female ones with a hole for wire could easily be adapted. You just have to provide a small hunk of large gage copper wire.. say 10, 12, or 14 gage that is used in house wiring. First solder it to the female connector, and then flush to the board... finally trim.