Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need a circuit that can capacitively or inductively detect a spark from an IC engine. — Parallax Forums

Need a circuit that can capacitively or inductively detect a spark from an IC engine.

LawsonLawson Posts: 870
edited 2013-03-30 18:52 in Accessories
I need a circuit that can capacitively or inductively detect a spark from an IC engine for a project. Google was unhelpful, figured I'd ask a much smarter knowledge engine.

I've got a little hour meter for a motorcycle that senses the spark with an insulated wire wrapped around the spark plug wire. I'd like to do the same. Right now I'm assuming I can hook the wire "directly" to an input pin with a weak pull-down and it would work. (I'd include a protection network) Still I'd rather start with a proven and tested circuit.

Lawson

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-03-24 23:45
    That's one of the three typical way of doing it. The other two are a metal sleeve around the plug/distributor wire or a connection to the coil. Regardless of which method you use a protection network is necessary. On a 12V car system this was done with a high powered resistor (5W 100K IIRC) and clamping diodes to ground and +12V.

It's been a long time since I played with that sort of thing, so the resistance value may be off. Try searching for some articles on building an electronic or digital tachometer. They were typically done using a plug or distributor connection.
  • sidecar-racersidecar-racer Posts: 82
    edited 2013-03-27 13:57
    On newer engines (FI) quite often there is a signal for tach which is 12v square wave, simple from there
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2013-03-27 14:06
  • ErlendErlend Posts: 612
    edited 2013-03-30 01:01
    You could also tap into the noise that is bound to be on the 12v. A small capacitor would pick up the hundreds-Hz signal which originates from the ignition system. It would probably be a few tens of mV amplitude.

Erlend
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2013-03-30 18:52
    AM radios have an uncanny ability to couple such impulse noise.
    It's almost magical.