Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
controlling relays with direct xbee : use xbee series 1 or 2 — Parallax Forums

controlling relays with direct xbee : use xbee series 1 or 2

rami mtirirami mtiri Posts: 2
edited 2013-04-12 14:37 in Accessories
hello evryone i'm doing a home automation system and i would like to control some relays with my arduino. to do that i'm trying to create a system that uses xbee to send signals to the relays. i heard tht i can connect the relays to an xbee directly and send signal via it's I/O. but i dont know if it's possible to do that with xbee series 2 only or series 1 and 2

xbee.png
581 x 467 - 5K

Comments

• teganburnsteganburns Posts: 134
    edited 2013-03-23 00:21
    Any version would work, but i would use cheap RF devices. And it seems you may need to do some research on programming. I have never worked /w Arduino but I know it is quite simple to make a program for that using the Propeller micro controller, and the propeller is far more powerful.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2013-03-23 12:55
    You will need some power handling components between the xbee and the relay as most relays need more power than the xbee can provide. Don't forget the xbee is a 3.3v device.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-03-23 14:20
    rami mtiri, I'd just use Series 1 for this kind of project. And depending on the XBee current and sourcing voltage level you might need some driver circuitry on the receiving XBee side. Maybe post some data on the relays you are looking at and the forum can provide more assistance.
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2013-03-24 09:11
    You certainly want to use Series 1 XBees. When indoors, you may need to use the XBee Pro (60mW) if you are going through walls - it costs about 50% more. One good investment from DIgi is the developers kit for XBee (the small one). It provides a couple boards - one with a LEDs as a signal strength meter and another one that plugs into your computer. The Digi software is also good for updating your firmware or making your own custom changes.

I say this because: If you are just trying to change a few pins with of signals, you can use XBee's IO control mode that essentially turns them into remote control inputs/outputs. If you need lots of IO (more than 4-6), then you need a microcontroller on both ends.

If you aren't using a solid state relay that triggers off of low current 3.3V, you might need something to drive the relays on the other end - Logic chip, transistor, optoisolator, etc...
  • rami mtirirami mtiri Posts: 2
    edited 2013-04-12 14:37
    thank you evreyone for your reply.
    teganburns it's a big project i'm using xbee for their built- in micro controller and for the pins that it have because i want to control alot of relays and read values from temperature sensors and light sensors
    Mr Ken Gracey i'm using 5v relays that's y problem right now in the beginning i thought by poering the xbees and the relays by the same power supply but it turned out that the xbee only needs 3.3V
    Invent-O-Doc my idea is to put an xbee and relays in every floor (or in vevery pannel for big houses)