Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interface RFID Reader to USB Prop Plug Possible? — Parallax Forums

Interface RFID Reader to USB Prop Plug Possible?

TheTech69TheTech69 Posts: 51
edited 2013-03-28 10:05 in Accessories
I would like to know if it is possible to interface the RFID Reader to the USB Prop Plug interface card? I know the RFID Reader requires 5VDC in order to work, hence my dilema. The next goal would be to get the Parallax Serial Terminal program to be able to read the RFID tags that came with the kit.

Thank you,
Jason Cramer
GySgt USMC (Ret)

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-03-24 23:50
    The RFID reader (part number 28140) uses serial data at 2400 baud so it should work with the Prop Plug.
  • TheTech69TheTech69 Posts: 51
    edited 2013-03-26 16:42
    Kwin,

When I interface the USB RFID reader, not the Serial RFID reader, to the USB Prop Plug the USB RFID reader does not power up due to no 5VDC going through the USB cable. Since there isn't any power I'm unable to read the tags at the moment. I really don't want to break down and purchase the Serial RFID Reader. I apologize for not specifying in my original post that I am trying to interface the USB RFID Reader vice the Serial RFID reader.

Thank you.
    Jason Cramer
    GySgt USMC (ret)
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-03-27 07:24
    ...interface the USB RFID reader,..to the USB Prop Plug...
    How exactly did you "interface" the USB RFID to the USB Prop Plug???
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-03-27 19:57
    TheTech69 wrote: »
    Kwin,

When I interface the USB RFID reader, not the Serial RFID reader, to the USB Prop Plug the USB RFID reader does not power up due to no 5VDC going through the USB cable. Since there isn't any power I'm unable to read the tags at the moment. I really don't want to break down and purchase the Serial RFID Reader. I apologize for not specifying in my original post that I am trying to interface the USB RFID Reader vice the Serial RFID reader.

Thank you.
    Jason Cramer
    GySgt USMC (ret)

AFAIK the prop plug uses a standard USB cable with a USB connector on the PC end and a miniUSB connector on the prop plug end. There is +5V going through the cable to provide power to the FT232 on the prop plug PCB. Unplugging the miniUSB connector from the prop plug PCB and plugging it in to the RFID reader should provide +5V to the reader.

Can you post the part number for your reader?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-03-28 10:05
    I have connected the RFID R/W to a PC via the PropPlug. In fact in another thread I have provided a VB.NET application that tests the connection by readings tags and displaying their data. I got the 5V source externally using common ground. But it does work.