Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
elev-8 help ! — Parallax Forums

elev-8 help !

TalaatTalaat Posts: 8
edited 2013-03-25 14:41 in Robotics
Hi,
The problem is that when I tried to arm my elev-8 it didn't arm correctly and still flashing green without any response. I don't know the reason..I've checked the ESCs calibration,the connections and it seems that every thing is ok. bearing in mind that I'm using the dx6i transmitter and I've installed the x configuration....Is there something wrong related to the dx6i settings ? (if so recommend me the right settings) or there's another problem ? please help me as much as u can :)
Thanks

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-03-20 19:00
    IIRC a bunch of the channels need to be reversed on the Spektrum radios to use the ELEV-8. I think these settings are in the manual.

My ELEV-8 wouldn't arm until I had made these changes. Let us know if you can't find the information.

I have a bunch of ELEV-8 links in post #10 of my index (there's a link to my index in my signature).
  • TalaatTalaat Posts: 8
    edited 2013-03-20 19:05
    Thanks Duane, I'll try.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-03-20 22:11
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    IIRC a bunch of the channels need to be reversed on the Spektrum radios to use the ELEV-8. I think these settings are in the manual.

My ELEV-8 wouldn't arm until I had made these changes. Let us know if you can't find the information.

I have a bunch of ELEV-8 links in post #10 of my index (there's a link to my index in my signature).

No, Spektrums don't need any channel reversing or special configuration to work out of the box, only the gain needs to be set on channel 5 (start with 26%).

The Futaba radios need to be reversed, however.

If you're having trouble arming the ELEV-8, try setting the rudder endpoints at 110% both directions.
    edited 2013-03-21 01:11
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    No, Spektrums don't need any channel reversing or special configuration to work out of the box, only the gain needs to be set on channel 5 (start with 26%).

The Futaba radios need to be reversed, however.

Thanks for the correction.

It's the HobbyKing $100 quad that uses Futaba as the defaults.

And now that my memory has been jogged, I realize it was the HobbyKing quad I initially had trouble arming.

@Talaat, Have you used other quadcopters. I know the arming sequence it a bit different with the HoverFly than with the other quadcopter boards I've used. Have you tried reducing the throttle trim? The throttle trim is different than the trim on the other channels. It sets the lowest setting of the throttle instead of the adjusting the center point of the channel. This allows the trim to set the idling state of the aircraft. Many transmitters use a default idle setting that's too high for the HoverFly to arm. Try reducing this idle point on your radio with the throttle trim control.
  • chasbearmachasbearma Posts: 11
    edited 2013-03-21 17:58
    I may or may not have had a similar problem (but was using a Futaba, channels reversed as designated).

First question - does the hoverfly arm? If you have the throttle all the way down, then go left than right with the throttle stick, it will beep and flash green, show red (meaning it is calibrating) and then be armed (according precise details seen in the hoverfly manual). So you can easily tell if the hoverfly hears the stick.

If it does arm, but the ESCs are beeping the rotors, you should recalibrate the ESCs. You should also plug one ESC directly into the throttle output from the radio receiver and see if it spins up and dowm on command from the transmitter.

In my case, I calibrated the ESCs with a tester, and it turns out that they didn't respond to the radio because of major differences. Recalibrating with the radio fixed everything.
    edited 2013-03-23 06:54
    Thanks all for ur help but, unfortunately nothing works and I'm a bit frustrated :\
    btw what is happening with me is quite similar to this youtube video :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHX-iWi64Rs&feature=youtu.be
    I'll appreciate any further help :)
    edited 2013-03-23 09:37
    Have you tried starting with your gear switch in alternate location? I think I had this problem. I've has so many different problems getting my quads and hex to fly it's hard for me to remember which problem I had with which aircraft but I was eventually able to get all of them to fly.

The LED will flash purple like that if the gear switch which puts it into elevation hold is in the wrong position at start up. I recall the "wrong" position seemed like the right one to me.

Don't flip the gear switch while flying unless you really know what you're doing. I had my Maxbotix ultrasound attached when I flipped the switch which then caused my ELEV-8 to do a flip (not in a good way).
  • dmagnusdmagnus Posts: 271
    edited 2013-03-24 05:46
    Don't know which version of the Hoverfly you are using, but it it's the Pro or Pro/GPS there is new firmware available..v4.8 and the recommend upgrading immediately if you have v4.6.1,2 or 3. Lots of changes. I haen't loaded it up lately because I'm waiting for our 2'+ of snow to melt.
    edited 2013-03-25 14:15
    Thanks all and special thanks to Duane. your last comment was the best and it works. Should I flip it again to it's original position before flying or it's ok now at this new position ?
    and I have some external question..what is the usage of the "glue" that came with the ELEV-8 platform ?

Thanks again..you made my day :)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-03-25 14:41
    Great to hear about the success, Talaat! And thanks to Duane for the special support.

That glue is Loctite, and it's for the metal/metal connections. Hopefully you used it when you built the motors.