Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Trip back in time: BS1 and the Sonic Screwdriver! — Parallax Forums

Trip back in time: BS1 and the Sonic Screwdriver!

xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
edited 2013-03-23 20:24 in BASIC Stamp
One of my many odd and random projects that I cycle through in ever-increasing iterations, is a working "Sonic Screwdriver" (Doctor Who fans will recognize this as the ultimate multi-tool). Mine's got a lot of bells and whistles packed in (mostly lasers, high power LEDs and IR signalling), but alas, it still won't open locks. :-)

Given space limitations of my design, I'm using one of those 9-position "navigation" switches, and a BS1 to control the functions. And that BS1 is where I am having an issue. I've used BS2s by the dozens, and a couple of Propellers, but never the venerable old progenitor of the line... until now.

I can program my BS2's just fine with the serial cable I bought a few years ago. It works perfectly. And I bought the little programming thingy for the BS1 (actually two of both just in case). But when I attempt to see the BS1 in my Editor, it only seems to see the cable (I get the Loopback: no and Echo: No) but it doesn't see the device type (BS1).

Before I start trying to buy different USB to Serial cables, is there anything I should check about my setup for the BS1. I've verified the three pins are going to the proper pins on the BS1... everything seems good. Good power to the BS1... just no communication.

I can put a BS2 in my PDB and put the USB to Serial cable in it's serial connector and see the BS2 right away - but put it into the BS1 programming adapter and - nothing.

Thoughts? Or do you think it's my USB to Serial adapter?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited 2013-03-19 16:34
    One thing to try would be to put the BS1 in the PDB and use the BS1 programming adapter. Just to check if the BS1 can be programmed.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2013-03-19 18:22
    Hi Bomber, and thanks for the response. I wasn't clear enough, I am using the BS1 programming adapter, that's the issue. When the cable is hooked to the BS1 adapter, which plugs directly into the protoboard lines corresponding to the BS1, and I attempt to use the Basic Stamp Editor to access the BS1, it doesn't show up. I also tried the BS1 in the slot FOR the BS1 on the PDB, and using the cable plugged into the standard 9-pin D connector that I normally use for teh BS2, I also do not see the BS1. Pics below. Baffled... :-)

These photos show the BS1 in both the "Built-In" and "Board Wired" setups. Neither will communicate...

PS., I've tried BOTH BS1 ICs and BOTH Programming Adapters with the exact same results. Gotta be my USB to SER Cable...

DSC00540.JPG
    DSC00541.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00544.JPG
    DSC00545.JPG
    DSC00546.JPG
    1000 x 750 - 175K
    1000 x 750 - 141K
    1000 x 750 - 105K
    1000 x 750 - 161K
    1000 x 750 - 112K
    1000 x 750 - 128K
  • garyggaryg Posts: 420
    edited 2013-03-20 13:59
    When I purchased my original BS1 setup, I could not get it to work with the Serial cable provided.
    It was suggested by the Parallax people, that I needed a USB to 232 adapter that plugs into the adapter you are
    attempting to use the Serial cable with.
    I've been using that system now for about a year with 100% success.

Just a thought.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-03-22 18:37
    Likewise, I've combined the BS1 serial adapter connected to a USB/serial adapter to program BS1s successfully through a computer's USB port, so that does work. I did not use the PDB, but made direct connection to the BS1 pins.

Of course, various USB/serial adapters may work differently.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2013-03-23 18:21
    Hi all,

Yup, it was the USB to Serial cable I have been using so well with the BS2s all along. I bought the Parallax USB to Serial adapter and using that in conjunction with the BS1 programming adapter, I am able to program the BS1 on-board in my PDB using the three-pin connector at the 12:00 position on the PDB. Works like a charm.

Now I am discovering just how much I've taken for granted working with the BS2px so much... working with the BS1 is really an exercise in how to creatively get it to do stuff with such a comparitively limited language. IF-THEN-Address but no ELSE or ELSEIF!!! No SHIFT-IN/OUT!!! Yikes! :-) Amazingly enough, though, I've got 90% of my program working, reading from a 74HC165 with a bit-bang SHIFT-IN using PULSOUT for the strobe... it's actually been fun! :-)

Now the challenge is going to be simply squeezing everything into the housing I've machined up!

Dave
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-03-23 20:24
    xanatos wrote: »
    ...working with the BS1 is really an exercise in how to creatively get it to do stuff with such a comparitively limited language.

Yep, it forces you to streamline code, but that's a great exercise for everyone in today's bloated code world!

Glad to hear your Parallax USB adapter got you back in the game.