Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2 basic stamps to control steering on gravity-driven race car — Parallax Forums

2 basic stamps to control steering on gravity-driven race car

tjcliffordtjclifford Posts: 4
edited 2013-03-20 19:03 in Accessories
Good day all.

I'm working on a project to build a gravity-driven race car (it uses an MG valve cover as the main part of the body), and I
want to use one basic stamp to control the steering and the other to drive a servo to move the wheels left or right.

I've not found anything on the Parallax site that outlines the best type of communication devices to do this, whether using
TWS-434 & RWS-434, or bluetooth, or if using two of the 433 Mhz RF transmitters would be best.
I'm only considering one-way communication at this time, and I'm looking to be as frugal as I can.

I'm also looking for a programming guide - how I could use the first BS to move the servo on the second BS,
and if there is a communications programming guide for that.
I've done the basic tutorials on one BS to move the servo with pushbuttons (although I'm curious about using
a potentiometer to turn the servo (checking for values smaller or larger than some chosen 'center' point).

If anyone (especially someone from Parallax) can point me to a good approach, I would be grateful
(especially with my business) :)

Thanks to all.
Tom C.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-03-19 10:47
    You're aware that the best, cheapest, fastest & most reliable solution is a simple hobby grade RC transmitter/receiver? You'll spend over $150 and a lot of time getting 2 stamps to transmit receive over a shorter distance. A hobby solution is half that and ready to go.
  • tjcliffordtjclifford Posts: 4
    edited 2013-03-19 15:12
    erco: thank you for your help.

I found a 433 MHz RF Transceiver on the Parallax site. Would that be a workable substitute ? 2 of them runs about $80.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2013-03-20 19:03
    I found a 433 MHz RF Transceiver on the Parallax site. Would that be a workable substitute ? 2 of them runs about $80.
    $80 for the radios, then you need controllers, servos, batteries, etc. They still will not be as fast as a cheap hobby setup.