Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TCS3200 - Color Sensor - Student Project (French) — Parallax Forums

TCS3200 - Color Sensor - Student Project (French)

LowiSkyLowiSky Posts: 5
edited 2013-03-15 09:18 in Accessories
Hello,

First of all, I would like to apologize for my bad english, indeed, I'm a French Student of only 16 years old. I came here to ask you some questions about the color sensor "TCS3200" (this one). We bought it a few weeks ago, and we still don't know how it works.
We can't buy a motherboard, because we've about 200€ (thereabouts 260$) for this project.

Our aim is to create a ball sorter. We've 1,6cm (thereabouts 0,6 inch) balls of various color (RGB and Yellow).
To sort them, we've chosen to use a worm wheel with a tray on which we fixed a jack and a suction cup. To control that I use a industrial and progammable automaton (TX07) with a Grafcet Programm.

The problem is actually to detect the color of the ball with the TAOS TCS3200 and to send it on the API (with an electrical flow maybe). Is there somebody who has already make that here ? Or somebody who could guide me ?

Thank you in advance,
Best regards !

PS : If you want some sketch, don't hesitate.

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2013-03-14 11:18
    Data for the TCS3200?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-03-14 11:53
    Here is the Parallax webstore page on this sensor. There are links on the right side of the page about halfway down the page. These link to documentation and sample programs for the Parallax BASIC Stamp and the Parallax Propeller microcontrollers. The TCS3200 produces a series of pulses with the frequency of the pulses proportional to the intensity of the light through 1 of 3 color filters (red, green, blue) or unfiltered.
  • LowiSkyLowiSky Posts: 5
    edited 2013-03-14 14:14
    I've already translate the user manual, which is sent with the product, but at this moment, the software part is not a problem for me, because I program for a several years. But we don't no how to connect the sensor with the PC or with the API. We've found a cable (this one) but it constrain us to use a motherboard and we don't have financial resources unfortunately :( .

Is there a possibility to weld cables on the pins to get this signal on the API or on a micro-controller (The professor may have one) ?

Thanks at all for your quick answers !
    edited 2013-03-14 14:27
    You can't connect the TCS3200 directly to a PC. You need some kind of hardware interface. What alternatives do you have for an interface? What do you mean by an API? I know what the letters mean, but they normally refer to a software interface, not a hardware one.

You can use a microcontroller to do this interfacing. The microcontroller need to have several (I think 5) outputs to the TCS3200 to select which color sensor is to be used and one input for the pulse stream that indicates the intensity of the light. These signals need to be logic signals appropriate for the power supply voltage since the sensor can operate using either a 3.3V or 5V supply voltage.
    edited 2013-03-14 14:50
    For the API, I use a TSX Nano 07, like this one, and we program in a "description langage", the "Grafcet", which is like that.
    For the microcontroller, I may be really interested, because we may already have one. But to make the connexion between the sensor and the µcontroller, can I weld cables or do I have to buy this cable ?

edited 2013-03-14 15:19
    I have no idea whether your TSX Nano 07 will work for this and we really can't help you with that part of things. You need something that will count pulses (3.3V or 5V) for a fixed period of time and can set logic outputs true (3.3V or 5V) or false (0V). You can use the cable you show, but you can also make your own cable from parts that you buy and you can solder directly to the pins on the sensor. It's better to use the cable since that's cheaper if you make a mistake.
    edited 2013-03-15 06:22
    For the TSX Nano, I'll use three inputs from the µcontroller, on for each color. But we actually don't know how to connect the µcontroller and the sensor.
    edited 2013-03-15 07:38
    Each microcontroller is different. I can't give you any advice on connecting the sensor and microcontroller without documentation on the microcontroller. The documentation for the TCS3200 describes what kind of signals have to be connected to each of the pins on the sensor. S2 and S3 have to be logic signals from the microcontroller to select the color. OUT is a logic signal to the microcontroller with the pulse stream. LED is a logic signal from the microcontroller that turns the LEDs on and off. Vdd is the +5V (or +3.3V) power supply and Vss is ground for power and signals. +5V is the power supply for the LEDs and can be the same as Vdd if that is +5V. The other connections are not necessary.
    edited 2013-03-15 09:18
    Oh, thanks for these many informations ! I've finish the motor and the pneumatic part of the project and it let me two week to master the TCS3200. I'll came back when have more informations :) .