Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Elev-8 won't stop spinning — Parallax Forums

Elev-8 won't stop spinning

tbanquertbanquer Posts: 3
edited 2013-03-10 09:19 in Robotics
Ok, so I've got the quad Elev-8 flying but I've got an issue. When I bring it off the ground, it will start spinning clockwise. If I keep it up, the spinning progressively gets worse. It makes forward flight impossible. I've tried trimming it out on the transmitter, but it's too much. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-03-09 18:34
    There's a problem with your drone but I'm sure we can figure it out :innocent:

Try these steps:
    1. Center all trims. This will be managed by the Hoverfly system.
    2. Verify that your propellers are spinning in the correct CW and CCW directions. The front right and rear left spin CW, and the other two spin CCW.
    3. Double-check the receiver and ESC wiring. Make sure that each ESC is properly connected to the correct port on the Hoverfly board. There's a strong possibility you've got a problem with receiver or ESC wiring. Even people in our office who've built a dozen ELEV-8s still make wiring mistakes. It's super easy to do.
    4. Power up the ELEV-8 with throttle all the way high. Once you hear the ESCs beep, lower throttle all the way. Then, power off and power on the Hoverfly board. This will reset the ESCs.
    5. If you are using a Spektrum, start with your CH5 gain at about 26%. Set both of the switch positions (the gear switch up top) at this level.
    Report back to your flight crew here on the forums after you take these steps.

Let's get that ELEV-8 in the air!
  • tbanquertbanquer Posts: 3
    edited 2013-03-09 19:48
    Ken,

Thanks for the help. I am using a Spektrum DX8, so I can directly use your tips. I'll go through your procedure in the morning and report back on my findings. Thanks again for the response.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-03-09 19:56
    I've tried to make a list of some of the ELEV-8 and quadcopter threads in post #10 of my index.

There are a lot of important steps to follow. Hopefully some of the links will help.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-03-09 20:39
    OK, tbanquer. Keep us posted on the progress and I'll likely check back tomorrow afternoon. Duane and others on the forum are also flying ELEV-8s so I'm sure we can sort out the spinning issue.
  • tbanquertbanquer Posts: 3
    edited 2013-03-10 09:19
    I've got to thank you guys for showing me the error of my ways. Turns out I had the rear rotors spinning the wrong direction. Thrust was correct but rotation was wrong. I swapped the two props on the back, changed their rotation and she flys straight as an arrow. Thanks again for all the help.

Tim

BTW, I've got you bookmarked Duane. You've got a lot of great information on that thread. Thanks.