Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ceiling Mounted Beverage Retrieval Arm — Parallax Forums

Ceiling Mounted Beverage Retrieval Arm

Tyler MeekTyler Meek Posts: 21
edited 2013-03-09 20:43 in Robotics
This thread will be used to keep a public log of the attempts and eventual success in creating a ceiling mounted robotic arm capable of retrieving a 12oz. aluminum can or 12oz. glass bottle from a refrigerator.

Rules and Constraints:

There can be no attachment of a secondary system to assist in opening the refrigerator. ' The arm must open, locate and close the door on its own
The robot must allow clearance of 6 feet from floor to the lowest part of the robot while in travel. ' Minimize the chance of injury to active child
The robot must rely on sensors to choose the correct action. ' Cannot be a dumb robot
The robot must be complete within 6 months. ' Cannot end up like so many other projects
A bottle or can indexing system can be used inside the refrigerator. ' This increases the chances of success
If battery powered the arm must have enough energy to deliver 12 beverages in 12 hour period. ' Minimize the charging time between standby uses

"Do Work" - Rob Dyrdek

IMG_1104.jpg
IMG_1112.jpg

3-8-13
I have been purchasing hardware and digitizing it to teach myself CAD and to help design the arm without the use of duct tape and cardboard. Although the CAD is really cool I already miss cardboard and duct tape.
1024 x 1365 - 167K
1024 x 1365 - 133K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-03-08 19:55
    Kickstarter! :)
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-03-09 07:30
    This sounds like a great first step toward something I've always dreamed about: the Canine-Assisted Robotic Arm (CARA). The dog module is trained using normal techniques except the dog has a robotic arm strapped to its back. Under commands from its owner (me), the dog races to the fridge, which opens automatically. Then the robotic arm automatically targets the 12-ounce, which the CARA system loyally brings to my couch. Once the fridge is empty, the dog has other possibilities - the fridge in the basement, for example, or the cold ones in the garage. During the event of natural disaster, such as a hurricane or major earthquake, CARA can even make its way to my neighbor's house, sniff through the rubble, and help rescue 12-ounces from there, as well.

Dogs are great at navigating rough terrain like that and if you treat them well, they'll kill themselves to make you happy. And giving the dog a robotic arm helps make that possible.

radio-dog.jpg
  • Tyler MeekTyler Meek Posts: 21
    edited 2013-03-09 20:43
    Ha, I like your dog.