Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Smart Card and Reader Question — Parallax Forums

Smart Card and Reader Question

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2013-03-09 16:48 in Accessories
Is there anything inside the smart card that would keep me from cutting it down and using just the gold contact or is it like a pcb on the inside? I have an idea I am working on for the Micro Medic Contest and I need to be able to just use the contact portion and not the whole card.

Comments

• harpreetsinghharpreetsingh Posts: 4
    edited 2013-03-08 00:08
    Now the smart cards are easily available in the market, you do'nt need to -to -cut it down.. if you really want to micro media contest then that yours own wish.. thanks
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-03-08 14:18
    Actually, I only need the part that gets read, not the whole card which is why I asked if the card can be cut and use just the sensor piece.
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-03-09 10:03
    I did not understand the first reply..... Im gonna say it is a 10 dollar experiment that should work, I think the biggest issue will be making the cut card make contact with the reader/writer without some hacking of the reader/writer
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-03-09 16:48
    Yea, I did not think about that but you make a valid point. I think I will give it a try and see what kind of hacking is needed on the reader. I also have an RFID Reader and cards coming from EBay and I will be getting a Reader/Writer after the SC box shows up. I was not going to buy what I did on EBay but could not pass up the prices!!!!