Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Easy Bluetooth & Boe-Bot Question(s) — Parallax Forums

Easy Bluetooth & Boe-Bot Question(s)

MikeyDMikeyD Posts: 2
edited 2013-03-07 09:01 in Accessories
Is there a way to see if the Easy Bluetooth module is working without having a Bluetooth connection? I would assume there is some type of test I could do when it was connected via the cable and get some output I could send to the DEBUG screen, but I can't seem to figure it out. Also, would there be a way to have one Boe-Bot cabled to the computer and use it to send out Bluetooth commands to another Boe-Bot that is free-roaming? That is, make the Easy Bluetooth module take the place of a Bluetooth dongle? Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-03-07 08:08
    There is a command mode used for configuring the module. The commands would be sent by the Stamp. You need to look at the RBT-001 documentation for these. See the links on the webstore page.

By using a USB to serial adapter like Parallax's USB2SER, you could attach an Easy Bluetooth module to a PC and use a terminal program on the PC or a program that you write to communicate with it. It wouldn't be exactly the same as a Bluetooth dongle, but would give you a wireless serial connection between the PC and the roaming BoeBot. The main difference would be that you can't configure the PC's Easy Bluetooth module directly. You'd have to type commands on the PC using a terminal program like HyperTerm rather than using a Bluetooth control panel. You also wouldn't be able to have other types of Bluetooth connections on the PC (like to a mouse or keyboard or headphones). Bluetooth dongles are cheap these days.
  • MikeyDMikeyD Posts: 2
    edited 2013-03-07 09:01
    Thanks for the zippy fast response!
    I looked at the product page, I didn't realize the AppNote thing was a part of the Easy Bluetooth. I went so far as to find Hayes AT protocol commands before I realized the EB doesn't seem to support it. I'd be a lot better off if I would READ and not just think I can figure things out! :)
    I know dongles are cheap, I just thought it would look cool for one robot to control the other ("resistance is futile...you will assimilate!").

Thanks for the info...it'll be my project for the weekend.