Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Impulse relay? — Parallax Forums

Impulse relay?

ErlendErlend Posts: 612
edited 2013-03-18 00:33 in Robotics
A simple challenge, I suppose: I want the battery-powered (growing ever more complex) circuitry in my cabin to switch off by itself when I forget to throw the switch as I leave for home. I forget too often; the battery runs empty - and kills itself. New batteries are expensive.
The auto-off-switch needs to handle 20A, and the voltage is 12V. In off mode it should have a minimal power consumption, in the order of 1-2mA max. I was thinking an old fashioned impulse relay, because it would consume zero power, but maybe there is a electronic solution to this?

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-03-07 08:51
    Easily done electronically with a power mosfet or bjt, but in this case a latching (impulse?) relay that is switched off by an electronic timer/occupancy sensor is probably the better solution. Perhaps locking up the cabin could be used to turn the system off.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-03-07 09:19
    Here's one commercially available 20A latching relay with 12V coils.

How were you going to tell that the cabin is unoccupied? You could use a Stamp or Propeller to provide a resettable timer that would turn off the power if time runs out.
    edited 2013-03-07 19:10
    Mike Green wrote: »

Lots of options for doing that.

A micro switch activated by the door being unlocked/locked.
    A switch you turn on when you enter and off when you leave.
    A switch activated by hanging the car keys on it.
    A PIR sensor(s) for the living area(s) combined with a load sensor for the bed(s).
    IR/visible light cameras.
    Sound/sonar detectors.

What you choose depends on your personal habits.
  • LA6WNALA6WNA Posts: 138
    edited 2013-03-08 14:21
    Hi Erlend
    A simple solution would be to buy yourself a key-operated switch and get it mounted between battery and load in the cabin. You should fix the key to the switch together with the cabin-key. Then, to get lock up the cabin before you leave, you`ll have to switch the power off to get the cabin-key free so you can lock the door. Only thing is that you`ll HAVE TO remember to lock tha cabin.:smile:. But that will free you from eventually "time-outs" in the power supply when you`re in the cabin. It will stay powered until you turn of to get the door locked.
  • AdyenAdyen Posts: 7
    edited 2013-03-09 08:51
    kwinn wrote: »
    Lots of options for doing that.

A micro switch activated by the door being unlocked/locked.
    A switch you turn on when you enter and off when you leave.
    A switch activated by hanging the car keys on it.
    A PIR sensor(s) for the living area(s) combined with a load sensor for the bed(s).
    IR/visible light cameras.
    Sound/sonar detectors.

What you choose depends on your personal habits.

That's great answer. I am also looking for answer of such type of question which Erlend ask. I think your answer is good answer. Thanks for sharing.
  • ErlendErlend Posts: 612
    edited 2013-03-10 04:37
    Thanks for good ideas. I will go for the (good old) relay, or a mosfet circuitry if I can find it (maybe a cmos 555 + heavy mosfet would do). The out-of-cabin solutions do not fix the problem entirely. I (or more likely somone borrowing the cabin) could run down the battery beyond the low-limit, in which case I would also like the auto-off to trigger before that happens.

EDIT: @Mike Green, I cannot find anywhere where it is add-to-basket available. Tip?
    edited 2013-03-10 18:19
    Re: No add to basket.

Looks like there is no on line purchasing and only paper catalog available. A bit behind the times. I look after 3 brands of lighting controls and will take a look to see if one of the latching relays they use are suitable for your application.
    edited 2013-03-11 00:46
    Thanks, kwinn.
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2013-03-12 06:05
    IRLS3036 MOSFET, 60V, 2 milliohm, logic level (5V) http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irls3036-7ppbf.pdf, will
    handle 20A with minimal heatsinking...
    edited 2013-03-13 19:41
    Erlend, I sent you a PM about the latching relay. If you want it PM me with the shipping info.
    edited 2013-03-18 00:33
    Fantastic. I've been saved by a remote-remote-remote relative in Alberta!

Erlend

BTW
    I don't want to go the mosfet way because there sure will be a short-circuit one day, and I doubt a fuse will save it. (Of course i could make a current limiting circuit, but relay is a quicker solution)