Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LMR Diamond Mine Challenge — Parallax Forums

LMR Diamond Mine Challenge

Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
edited 2013-03-13 17:14 in Robotics
If any of you Parallax roboteers haven't seen the website, LetsMakeRobots.com, you really need to check it out.

Man, oh man, do they have robots.

I recently posted a couple of my robots on the site. I've looked through a bunch of their robots and there's a lot of really good stuff.

With my recent activity at LMR, I came across the "Diamond Mine" challenge.

The jest of the challenge, if I understand it correctly, is to have a robot drive a distance, dig for diamonds, inspect the diamonds to make sure they're not just rocks and bring the "diamonds" back to the starting position.

I realize my recent efforts using a compass might make undertaking this challenge not quite as a severe effort as it would have been previously.

It's a far cry from a figure 8 but I was hoping I could talk some of my fellow forum members into joining the fun.

I'm thinking of mounting my CrustCrawler AX-12 SmartArm on a compass guided robot. I'd probably use encoders to keep track of the distance and then have the robot arm randomly start scooping up dirt, rocks and hopefully diamonds.

I'd want the gripper on the arm to allow loose dirt to fall away and then bring the rock or diamond up to some sort of detector. I may use Phil's NTSC video capture, Hanno's video capture method or a CMUcam4 to look at the stones. I'm sure there are many low tech ways of determining if a stone is a rock or diamond. A simple photo resistor could be used to test for transparent diamonds vs opaque rocks.

The "diamonds" can be pretty much whatever you want them to be. I think this is a purposely introduced loophole to make the challenge easier to complete. (I think the "rocks" can also be of our own choosing though I don't know if RFID tagged rocks and diamonds count.)

I thought I'd document my efforts here, and hopefully encourage others to join in the challenge.

The deadline has been recently extended to the end of March.

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-03-06 21:41
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    ... I'm sure there are many low tech ways of determining if a stone is a rock or diamond. .....

Many diamonds will fluoresce under UV. But who's going to give you real diamonds to dig for? :)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-03-06 22:12
    Cool. I've done & won contests. They will consume all your time...

Watch out for loopholes, especially the first time a contest is run. Someone will win on a technicality. Here's a rule on that site I would bend heavily:

"This challenge is not as hard as it first appears. Remember I said you can use your own objects to simulate the diamonds. That was an important HINT. You could use white gravel, black marbles, or whatever you want. If you use the same sort of sensor as in a line-follower, you can find the "diamonds" by sensing light versus dark."

Heck, I would choose neodymium magnets as diamonds that would jump onto anything metal that got anywhere close to them. I would "sense" them with a hall effect or even one of Emily's new reed switches, then scrape them off into a bin. Oh, and your magnetic compass would lead you right to them...

Too bad I'm travelling for most of March! :)
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-03-06 23:41
    Looks like a fun little contest, im sure you can take the prize Duane you already have everything you need hard ware wise. When I first started reading this thread I thought you acually had to take your bot outdoors and dig up the "diamonds". Since this is 100% simulation where most anything goes.... I think you should throw magnets in a pile of cringled paper, scoop the paper with a metal scoop then flip the scoop, walla diamonds are attached and filtered, and as Erco suggested you could use hall effect sensors and your compass, however I don't see a need for any sensors using this method just getting the right driven distance and scooping motion going.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-03-07 08:04
    Be sure to check out what the "rocks" are in the contest. For example, if they can put chunks of magnetite in the dirt, you might find your own magnetic "diamonds" have lots of friends. That is, your robotic "diamond" scooper might end up bogged down with falsies.
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2013-03-10 14:21
    You can make your diamonds "twinkle" using a cell battery and an led. That'll simplify any vision-based system- just look for light. Even easier if you use a 555 timer to blink them at a frequency that you can then search for.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-03-11 09:31
    I think twinkling diamonds would probably be allowed but you'd be less likely to win against someone who is cheating less.

I'm thinking of having dark dirt, dark rock and white or clear "diamonds". I'm hoping to use your machine vision technique to identify white objects against a dark background.

I recently purchased a CMUcam4 which I may also try using to identify "diamonds".

My day job has recently been keeping me busy so I haven't had as much time to work on this project as I thought I'd have.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-03-12 07:21
    This looks like a neat challenge, but I don't have the time to tackle something this involved.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-03-13 17:14
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    My day job has recently been keeping me busy so I haven't had as much time to work on this project as I thought I'd have.

Boo Hoo for you. Now add twins and you have a glimpse into my world... :)