Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sound Powered BOE Bot? — Parallax Forums

Sound Powered BOE Bot?

Amlla13Amlla13 Posts: 3
edited 2013-03-07 21:17 in Robotics
All right, so Im trying to have a BOE bot that functions by sound, the sensors dont really absorb sound or use it as a power source. Unfortunately, there were no precedent projects on it and so no help there. Any idea guys? I have the BOE bot ready and Bluetooth Module.
Any suggestions??? Please :smile:

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-03-06 17:26
    It depends on what you mean by "functions by sound".

There have been several robots that use a SayIt module to give voice control to a robot. I've been experimenting with the SayIt using a Propeller.

What kind of sound do you want to sense? Have you looked around for sound sensors?

Technically any robot that uses an ultrasound to navigate "functions by sound".
  • Amlla13Amlla13 Posts: 3
    edited 2013-03-06 19:25
    Yes, I saw the SayIt, the distance sensor and such. I dont want to control the robots' movements by that sound-the sound I want is the basic sounds or noises like music playing or people screaming in the rally. I just want it move, based on its programming( like programmed to pull something), when it - possibly a sound absorbing contraption in the robot, detects school sounds then uses that sound as a power source and convert it into electrical energy to move the robot. Ex. A rally in a crowded and closed room with screaming people, I want the boe bot to detect and absorb that sound and somehow convert that absorbed sound into electrical energy to power it and make it move, like maybe have a boe bot race.
    :thumb: Ty :smile::smile:
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-03-06 19:34
    So you want to replace your battery's with sound?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-03-06 19:44
    You can't do it. First of all, there's not much power in ordinary sound despite how loud it may sound. Second, the amount of power absorbed depends on the area of the sensor and a BoeBot can't carry a diaphragm big enough to extract much power from the sound. You could certainly have a microphone and a suitable amplifier and filters to detect sound levels at different frequencies and use that as a source of information to control the BoeBot, but the power source for the BoeBot would be its batteries.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-03-06 20:15
    I don't think the OP was after sound to energy. I think they want to make the bot's speed proportional to the volume of the surrounding sound.

I sure the Propeller could do this but I think a BS2 could probably do it as well with some external circuilts. Maybe (as Mike suggested) a mic with an amp and RC decay circuit or some other ADC to measure the amp's output?

Once the sound level was determined the CR servos could be sent appropriately.

With two mics and amps, it may be possible to have the bot move toward or away from the sound.

A chip like this may make the task easier.
  • Amlla13Amlla13 Posts: 3
    edited 2013-03-07 21:17
    Thank you! Ill try ordering wat u guys suggest! And yeah, It seems that having sound as the only source is not wise. Ty guys! :smile: