Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Data transfer between two basic stamp — Parallax Forums

Data transfer between two basic stamp

PinkyPinky Posts: 5
edited 2013-03-22 05:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!

I am wondering how can the data from one basic stamp can be transferred to another basic stamp? In addition, has anyone got the GDM2004D LCD to work with the stamp? if yes, What was done to get it work? if possible, i would like to have a look at the code as well.

anyone can assist me please? :(

Comments

• PropNut1960PropNut1960 Posts: 23
    edited 2013-03-06 05:35
    If by transferring data you mean the program held in the eeprom, you can't.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-03-06 07:01
    The GDM2004D looks similar to Parallax's parallel LCD. On the webstore product page for the parallel LCD, there's documentation and sample code and, with minor changes because of the difference in display size, that might work. Both displays use compatible controllers. As mentioned in SparkFun's comments, use 4-bit mode since that's what's used with Parallax's LCD.
  • PinkyPinky Posts: 5
    edited 2013-03-13 03:17
    I meant connecting two basic stamp together. As in one of them which is the slave (eg: Ping sensor) will be sending data to the master (LCD) receiving data and display. Is that possible?

i have tried but haven't get it work till now. :(
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2013-03-13 05:53
    Data between Stamps is pretty straight-forward. You will use the SERIN and SEROUT commands.

In the Helpfile of the editor, there are some sample circuits along with sample code.Look under SERIN or SEROUT.

Try those and let us know how you make out.

Cheers,
    edited 2013-03-20 00:12
    I have tried but doesnt work. it is not sending anything to the LCD. :(
    edited 2013-03-20 06:00
    Your next step would be attaching a schematic of your actual circuit along with your code.

Many folks have gotten both serial communication and LCD displays to work, so I'm optimistic that with a bit of information your problem can be addressed.

Cheers,
    edited 2013-03-21 21:59
    Hi Tom,

After checking my wiring, i managed to get the following code to work. =)

Modified code for master.bs2
    Modified code for slave.bs2

Now, i want the LCD on the master stamp to display the measurement taken by the parallax ping sensor. Due to the lack of understanding of the code, i failed to modify it to do so.

Hence, i tried to connect my LCD terminal appmod together with ping sensor using the following code.But on the LCD it shows odd characters which is arrow and letter S only. I'm not very sure what is wrong with the LCD.

LCD appmod with Ping testing.bs2

Please give me some suggestions. Thank you. =)
    edited 2013-03-22 05:48
    Progress by any name is good.

Again, a schematic of what you've actually got hooked up is what will result in the fastest solution.

I didn't go through all the code in the 3 programs, but I get the impression the master is displaying information on the PC screen by sending the data serially. The slave has code for talking to the AppMod LCD in 4-bit or 8-bit parallel.

I'd suggest writing a simpler program in the master that talks to the LCD. Just write a loop that counts up and displays the number on the LCD. Then add a line of code so it prints on the PC screen also.

Step 3 would be to transfer the measured values from the slave to the master and display them.

A schematic, etc, etc, nag, nag ........