Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SPF IR Control Kit Retail and the Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

SPF IR Control Kit Retail and the Basic Stamp

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,184
edited 2013-03-06 23:34 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
At the beginning of the month I bought the thing that the title talks about, https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10783 basically the
"IR Control Kit Retail RTL-10783" contains the entire collection of items that the site also sells separately. Naturally the site gives demonstration code for the Arduino, and of course I've used them. But my interest is largely in the domain of the Basic Stamp. It turns out that the IR sensors they sell resemble the ones that Parallax sells. And as it happens a chap who wrote an excellent library mentions that he's gotten the thing to work with his library and the examples.

Now the question, has anyone gotten this thing to work with the stamp? What was done to get it to work, and how.

Earlier I spent some time arguing with a TSL235 sensor, after a fashion it worked and produced some interesting results. They also make a sensor who's sensitive to IR as a opposed to visible light, the TSL245. That one I've not used, but it is supposed to respond in similar fashion, and to do much of what the other does, except that it minds the invisible portion of the spectrum.

As it happens mine was bought from the Microcenter in Yonkers New York.

Hint to Parallax: Get them to contain the full line of items, not just a smattering.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-03-06 09:59
    OT but IR related, I saw this self-contained IR remote controlled relay kit on Amazon for $15 (free ship!) and thought that was a decent value. Includes receiver with 12V, 15A relay and two remotes: http://www.amazon.com/LOGISYS-RM02-relay-remote-control/dp/B000PI9E4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362592503&sr=8-1&keywords=remote+control+relay
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,184
    edited 2013-03-06 23:34
    erco wrote: »
    OT but IR related, I saw this self-contained IR remote controlled relay kit on Amazon for $15 (free ship!) and thought that was a decent value. Includes receiver with 12V, 15A relay and two remotes: http://www.amazon.com/LOGISYS-RM02-relay-remote-control/dp/B000PI9E4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362592503&sr=8-1&keywords=remote+control+relay

Hello!
    **Glares at Robby.**
    Not what I expected to find on a Basic Stamp forum. Anyway I did try the TSL245 out and found that it did "see" the remote and present me with the code numbers behind the buttons being pressed on the remote.

I also downloaded and looked at the application note and code set for the Infrared detector/emitter pair that the company sells. Nice idea that one. And kudos for a chap named Lindsay for creating the whole business over a weekend. However one number wasn't included in the series of already written and presumably tested examples.

I've come to the disturbing conclusion that despite my interests being first with the stamp, I can't use it on this application because of how the device reads the program stored in it. So I'm off to the original idea. I certainly hope I can sort out what can be used there to make this problem be solved. It's only the size of a medium-sized moon.....

Oh and happy b-day to our participants, including one who's needed at Capistrano.